Bacteria bloom?

jackthestrat

DON'T PANIC
Good morning.

I have a timeline of events followed by some badness that I'd love to get some of your input on...

Sunday morning, performed 5 gallon water change on my 40 gallon breeder tank. During the water change my MaxiJet Mod fell and kicked up some sand and made the water a bit cloudy.

Yesterday, after working all night long, I came home and the tank was cloudy as can be (this is about 19 hours later)

I use RO/DI water. Output from the unit was, and always is, 000 TDS.

Plugged in the ehiem and ran it during the day yesterday for 9 hours, no appreciable difference.

Everything I read tells me it's likely a bacteria bloom - but I have zero nitrates in my tank. All my livestock seems to be in exactly the same happy, peppy health that it was in pre-water change. I've got a ton of flow in there, so I don't think I need to worry about oxygen depletion if it is a bloom.

Any ideas? How best to proceed? Maybe it is still sediment settling? The only thing that I can think of is that I did a large (approx 25 gallons) water change about 2 weeks ago - could this be related? Any help is highly appreciated - I automatically worry when I go from crystal clear water to watered down milk in a 24 hour time span.

The tank is only about 5 months old.

V/r,

-M

Back