Banggai Cardinal Sexing

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Okay, so everyone wants to be able to sex Banggais. I know I'd been certain a few times I knew how to do it, and was foiled each time. Here's a new idea. I noticed that for every pair of Banggais that I have, only one will eat the Ocean Nutrition Formula II frozen food, and it's always the female. The males take it in and just spit it back out.

It's just like with humans, the women will eat salad and the men all want steak.

I have a mated pair in my tank. To be honest I can't tell them apart. They look exactly the same! The only way I can tell is when the male is holding fry. He stops eating and over the next few days his face and jaw get huge. Almost looks like he has the mumps. He still chases down food, but he doesn't eat any.

if gregs methods are accurate i have a girl a BIG girl and need a guy...
anyone have a few extra floating around? Would love to get some babies going.
:) ahhh winter...the time when i fill the house with millions of little containers of critters.

if gregs methods are accurate i have a girl a BIG girl and need a guy...
anyone have a few extra floating around? Would love to get some babies going.
:) ahhh winter...the time when i fill the house with millions of little containers of critters.

Then I guess I have a BIG boy and need a girl... lol

The second Banggai I had was the only fish I have ever had jump from my tank(s) in 10 years. (and then die :-( ... although I have had my longnose hawkfish jump from the tank, bump into my neck and down the front of my shirt while I was standing in front of the tank once but live to tell the 'tail' .)

Joe <"}}}}><

>Are Bangais sexed by birth or do they sex change?<

I'm pretty sure they are born male or female.

... although I have had my longnose hawkfish jump from the tank, bump into my neck and down the front of my shirt while I was standing in front of the tank once but live to tell the 'tail' .)

Joe <"}}}}><

that's a riot!

Greg - I had actually been meaning to ask you about that. I've got a pair from you that have been doing very well, and are in the same tank although I have no idea what sex they are. Is it possible that they will mate (assuming of course that they are not both the same sex)? Or would that never happen because they are "related?"

They will mate even if related. If they have not killed each other they are likely a pair. Try feeding them Formula II and let me know if only one eats it? I've checked and it worked thus far with three pairs.

They will mate even if related. If they have not killed each other they are likely a pair. Try feeding them Formula II and let me know if only one eats it? I've checked and it worked thus far with three pairs.

Thanks for the info Greg - I'll try it out. I've had them probably about 6 months now, and they're still both alive, so I'm taking that as a positive thing. I did see one of them chase the other a couple days ago though. Didn't do any kind of nipping or anything, just chased it.

hey Greg, whats the best way to mate these up? I have a single one in my tank and have been afraid to put another in because I know they fight. Shall I just keep adding bangaiis until theres only 2 survivors left? I need a good supply of bangaiis for this :)

Back