Basement Setups

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
I think I will be putting my whole set up in the basement of my new house when i move. I'll have a great little man cave down there. I know it varies from house to house, but those of you who have setups in the basement, can you post temps, high and low for the air temperature throughout the year. Also is there anything I should be cautious about? This basement is unfinished and I have a window big enough to put an AC in if i need to, but i was hoping it could get away with out it.

Any input on a basement setup would be great. I'm slightly hesitant about this, but it will make things a lot easier.

Jeff

I have my setup in the basement. Its totally finished. The house is only 3 years old. My Basement has carpet, ceiling.. http://users.adelphia.net/~kpbourque/newhouse.html Thats a link to it. In the room where the computer is is where the tank is. My basement is heated with forced hot water and cooled with AC in the window. Its a walk out basement and has 2 windows. The temp does go up in the summer with windows and door open. Its been up to 82. With AC I get it down to 73 -74. The temp in the water ranges from 79 in the morning to 82 at night before the lights go out. I have no worries with sunlight hitting the tank.

I have a 150 in-wall tank int he finished basement. Only problem is humidity. But nothing a dehumidifier couldn't fix. Anyhow, basements are naturally cooler than upper level floors. I don't have AC in the basement, but then again, my basement temp has never reached 80? (been in upper 70's though).

Basement tanks are OK if you spend most of your time in the basement. I like having my tank where I am most of the time. If thats upstairs then you could always put your sump in the basement.

I'm in the basement all the time and see the tank ALL THE TIME! LOL! You would never know you were in my basement, you could live down here. Anyway... :)

I have a 180 inwall in my basement... well kinda. We have a split entry house so it is in the lower level. We really only have a problem with hunidity like Mark noted above and we have added a dehumidifier and the problem went away.

Yeah, you do want to consider putting the tank where it will be "enjoyed". My basement is my "mantown". So it's not just the tank, but I also have an entertainment center, pinball machine, mini-fridge, electric guitar... not to mention my office is in the basement too (work from home).

My 210 is in "Man Town", in the basement. The 51" wide screen, a full size refrigerator, and my tank are down there. I barely have a reason to leave the basement! It does get quite humid down there though. The highest temp I have reached this summer was about 86. That was without any fans running and the mh on. It hasn't goten over 84 with the fans on. I find it easier to keep a stable temp with it down there.

My tank is down in "girl town" in my basement. ;) I spend all of my time down in the room where my tank is - flat panel tv, treadmill and tank - what more could a girl want? My tank is in the finished part of my basement - built into the wall. Then my fish room is in the unfinished part. I don't have a chiller, and haven't had any heat problems in the hot weather. I just keep all of the windows and doors closed down here and it stays cool. One thing I did was add a fan that pulls heat/humidity away from the tank and vents it outside. That seems to be doing a good job. I also have a de-humidifier built into my furnace - that keeps the humidity down in the fish room. I say if you spend a lot of time down there, go for it.

Back