basic reef terminology

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I'm putting together an example handout for LFSs about basic reef tank terminology. This would be the kind of handout that a store employee could give to someone who is thinking of starting their first tank. I need simple definitions for common terms that someone like this would hear. We're looking for words like "sump", "LPS", "Skimmer", not words like "Cnidocyte". The definitions should directed towards an otherwise educated person who doesn't know anything about saltwater tanks.

I know there are lots of lists like this already, but please use your own words so there are no copywrite problems. I'll collect some of the definitions into a handout.

Here is an example:

Protein Skimmer- This is a piece of equipment that helps keep the water clean by removing protein and other organics before they can break down into toxic chemicals. Inside the skimmer tiny bubbles of air are mixed with the tank water. Proteins stick to the bubbles and float to the top of the skimmer. This creates a smelly brown foam, or "skimmate", that is colected and disposed of. Protein skimmers are usually kept in the sump or hung on the back of the tank.

SteveDola said:
why? when its already been done on several sites?
She answered that in her first post in this thread:
I know there are lots of lists like this already, but please use your own words so there are no copywrite problems. I'll collect some of the definitions into a handout.

refugium- a place to grow macro, which takes nutrients out of the water giving you less nuisance algea, and pods, which many things in your tank feed on. Commonly called a "fuge". This also adds water volume to your system aiding in keeping water stability.

how was that?

chuck said:
refugium- a place to grow macro, which takes nutrients out of the water giving you less nuisance algea, and pods, which many things in your tank feed on. Commonly called a "fuge". This also adds water volume to your system aiding in keeping water stability.

how was that?
Good. I think you may want to add something about usually keeping the fuge free of fish.

When I was starting, there were a few words that confused me, and I had a hard time finding definitions that meant anything to me.

Baffles ~ Dividers between two areas of water that reduce tiny bubbles and increase water/oxygen exchange. They are usually staggered with the first baffle connected to the bottom and shorter than the water level to allow overflow. The second baffle is taller than the water level with space underneath, and the third that is identical the first. Water will flow from one section to another in and overflow fashion with no pumping required.

Bulkheads ~ The piece of plumbling that fits into a drilled hole. Typically found in the overflow area to transition the stand pipe (durso) inside the overflow, to the (other piece of pipe that goes into the sump, what's that called again?)

And I remember looking this one up becuase I saw it EVERYWHERE and didn't quite get the drift until I looked it up:

Frag ~ A small piece of a coral, either broken off or cut off, that will grow into a colony of it's own if given proper care.

Of course, I'm still a newbie, so feel free to edit and let me know if something itsn't exactly accurate.

Melody~

Great guys, this is exactly what I need. Pictures would help for some of these terms too.

Melody, It is great to hear from newer reefers what terms stood out as confusing.

Frag is short for a fragment of coral, as opposed to a full grown colony.

I must admit when I first got into reefing a couple of years ago "frag" had me baffled (pun intended) for a while, I thought it might stand for fragment then I decided no...no way.

Jim

Sump - a basin of water plumbed to the display tank. Typically used to hold equipment (i.e., skimmers, heaters, carbon filters, top-off devices, etc...) that would otherwise be unsightly, cumbersome, or noisy if placed in the display tank. A sump may sometimes serve combined use as a refugium. Sumps may also be used to increase the total system water volume, so as to improve the stability of the water quality. Typically water is drawn from the display tank by gravity, where it then passes through the sump, and is returned to the display tank via a return pump. Typical locations for a sump are under the tank in the tank stand, in a room adjoining the display tank, or in the basement.

This is comming along well.

Saltwater Fishtank Terminology
Compliments of the Boston Reefers Society
Please visit us at http://www.BostonReefers.com

Here are some more terms I thought of:

macroalge
nuisance algea
pods
Display Tank
Fish Only
Reef Tank
Reef Safe
Soft coral
LPS
SPS
Cycle
Clean up crew
Overflow

A picture is worth 1000 words especially with terms like baffle. Anyone want to donate some pictures of any of the terms?

Clean up crew- Critters who are added to the main display to help controll nuicence alge and to clean up decaying food and dead animals. A clean up crew typically consists of various snails, hermit crabs, emerald crabs and sometimes starfish and shrimp.

edit:Added shrimp for Nate :)

Last edited:
Reef Safe - Where you keep your money for this hobby... as you will need alot of it.

j/k I will try to find time in the next few days to add to the list.

Somebody needs to define "live rock"

I just remember the look of my coworkers when saying "yah I paid $200 for live rock" Lets see my attempt of a definition...

Live Rock. Live rock is the foundation of most reef systems. Its main function is to introduce bacteria that perform biological detoxification of the waste products of the aquarium livestock. Live rock is also an excellent landscaping material. It is usually composed of coral skeletons that have been mainly covered with coralline algae. This coralline algae give it its characteristic purple color. Additionally, many different critters naturally colonize live rock and thus it can be a source of interesting and unexpected additions to a reef tank. However, care must be exercised when introducing live rock to an stablished tank. The rock has to be cured, in other words, allowed to age in a separate tank and cleaned from all decaying material. This also allows to remove unwated pests that might be traveling inside the live rock.

Some older books may refer to a protein skimmer as a "foam fractionator," so that might be helpful to add. Also, add examples of macro algae, ie "caulerpa" "chaeto", etc. Maybe mention copeopods and amphipods under the pods category. Just a few thoughts before going to work...

bulkhead

bulkhead and hole saws ;)

Attachments

• bulkhead and hole.jpg
    bulkhead and hole.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Back