Beginner Corals

bostontim

Reefing ain't Easy
OK. I have researched and talked to Steve at Skipton's and he steered me to some chooses. I got a great deal on a Orbit 4x65 PC light system. I also got a pair of perculas. All is doing good. Now, what would be a good beginner coral selection??

Can you share some more about your set up and your goals?

It's easy to suggest beginner corals, but a lot of the easy ones can be problematic later if your shooting for more difficult corals in the long run.

Ie; mushrooms, GSP's, and button polyps are all easy and super hardy, but all can be a problem if your shooting for SPS in the future.

Can you share some more about your set up and your goals?

It's easy to suggest beginner corals, but a lot of the easy ones can be problematic later if your shooting for more difficult corals in the long run.

Ie; mushrooms, GSP's, and button polyps are all easy and super hardy, but all can be a problem if your shooting for SPS in the future.

55g Tank. I am planning on softies mostly. I am in the process of purchases a HO refugium and skimmer. I got about 50 lbs of rock. I just basically wanna add some color and movement in the tank with the corals. I hope that answers your question!!

You'd get more accurate answers if you posted some tank specs. Size, amount of rock, skimmer etc.
Xenia, yellow polyps, most zoas, soft corals and mushrooms should do fine.

You'd get more accurate answers if you posted some tank specs. Size, amount of rock, skimmer etc.
Xenia, yellow polyps, most zoas, soft corals and mushrooms should do fine.

I thought I did the previous post. dimensions: 48x12x24

"Ie; mushrooms, GSP's, and button polyps are all easy and super hardy, but all can be a problem if your shooting for SPS in the future."
A very good point. If you let these types of corals grow onto/into your rocks their very tough to get rid of later. I have a rock in my sump with no light on it and it's still growing mushrooms!!!

My GSP started the size of a quarter, and I was upset with how small it was, and my mom thought it looked like a small patch of grass. Now it took over an entire rock and is encrusting onto another, my mom still calls it grass though :D

"Xenia and mushrooms should do fine."

I agree that these two in particular will grow like weeds.... if you want to get rid of them, it can be tough.. If you do decide on these., stick them on individual rocks that can later be removed if so desired... you will understand what I am saying as they start growing like wild and out of control onto things you wish they would not go near..... :)

I have green stripe, purple and red mushrooms for sale in Waltham.
I also have a lot of others for sale. send me a pm and shoot you a
pict.

A lot of these soft corals tend to move from rock to rock and they leave behind what looks like skin where anotherone will grow like Xenias. I believe one of the worst you can get is Kenya trees because the sting other corals, they also drop little branches that will attach to any rock it gets close to and soon your tank will be overpopulated with these guys.

FWIW, I've not found the Kenya trees to have a particularly strong sting. They do drop babies, but it's not really hard to remove them.

I'd also add to the list some of the more standard tree corals (Sinularia or similar), mushroom leathers, Anthelia, Clavularia, many LPS like Caulastrea, hammer, and frogspawn.

Would he be Ok to grow frogspawn or hammer coral under 4-65 watts PC?:confused:

zoos are my favorite newbie coral. They grow quick, are tough to kill, and dont sting anything.

There are plenty of other things that grow well and are tough to kill, but most sting things (mushrooms, yellow polyps, etc)

My First Coral Bought!!

Today I went to Jay's to buy a BTA for my clowns. He had one left and it was attahed to the same rock as a coral. He gave me a great deal to buy both and now I have my first coral!! This is exciting! I just wished I asked what kind it was. lol

Back