Best bang for your buck 120-150 gallon glass RR setup

Seams look okay. However, there's a couple spot in question. Not sure if it's due to reflection or it's real. 2nd picture bottom corner, seem like some missing silicone)? 3rd picture, about more than half way from left to right, is silicone cured?
I hope they return your call and take care of the issue with the sump.

I see what you're saying. It's just the crappy pics. SC Aquariums got back to me yesterday and told me they would ship another sump. Hopefully it comes packaged a little better than the last one!

Waiting for UPS to bring presents so I whipped up a mount for my Ecotech radions. Simple 1/16"x3/4" aluminum angle. Still trying to decide if I just want the two front inside holes to have access to the buttons as I was planning to disable them once my Reeflink arrives anyway.

Also hoping spacing is good(12" inches between the lights), fingers crossed.

Was able to sneak away to paint my stand on Sunday and spent a couple of hours plumbing tonight. Time to clean the tank and do a water test. Wahoo!

Last edited:
Tank is cycling. My oldest son(3)keeps asking me where all the fish are and he wants a shark. I told him, maybe the next tank and he said "yes, we need a bigger tank". I like where his head is at!

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Cadlights 125G today. I was told to contact HigorC on this site and ask how satisfied he is with his.

I don't know how to contact him.

Looks great Bill!!
How many Radion are you going to put on there? Any supplemental lighting?

Thanks Nick. I'll be doing a third radion in the middle at some point and see how it goes from there. Hoping to have a tank 25% as nice as yours.

C'mon. Your rockwork is already a winning design.
My advice is that don't freak out when you see algae bloom on the sand or the rock. Especially don't use any chemical to fight the algae bloom. Let it blooms! If your clean up crew is sufficient and your nutrient control(skimmer) is up to date, the algae bloom will run out of fuel and will disappear.

Thanks Nick. I'll be doing a third radion in the middle at some point and see how it goes from there. Hoping to have a tank 25% as nice as yours.

C'mon. Your rockwork is already a winning design.
My advice is that don't freak out when you see algae bloom on the sand or the rock. Especially don't use any chemical to fight the algae bloom. Let it blooms! If your clean up crew is sufficient and your nutrient control(skimmer) is up to date, the algae bloom will run out of fuel and will disappear.

Sound advice, I'll be ordering this soon. http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.p...mart_product_id=262&virtuemart_category_id=20

Any other advice on what to pick up for CUC? I'm running a 2-3" sand bed, what do you guys do to clean your sand?

William,
Here's my experience with certain type of clean up crew.
Trochus snails: My favorite for glass and rock cleaning. They're fast and can chow down the film algae on the glass very quickly. I assume they do just as good on the rocks but you don't get to see it. A bit expensive but I prefer these over the turbos. Trochus can be bred easily in captive environemnt. They spawn pretty often and the baby actually survived.
Cerith snails: Good cleaner for sand and the edges of the sand/glass interface.
Nassarius: I never like these. You put them in and they go into the sand. Who knows what they do in the sand but I highly doubt they move around under the sand bed. You put food in and they come up and cruise up the glass then fall back down. After the food is gone and the smell of food is gone, they go back into the sand until the next feeding begins. Sure, if you have enough of them, they "stir" the sand when they come up. But to have enough for any meaningful stir up, you need to have a lot and they will likely die of starvation.
Fighting Conch: These are more preferred for sand bed cleaning than Nassarius. Very active and gets the job done. The term "fighting" doesn't actually mean they fight with each other, it's a little indent on the shell on top of its head that resemble a fighting helmet. They get along with each other just fine.
Hermit crabs: I like the tiny ones but they do not last very long. The bigger ones tend to go after the corals. Crabs are omnivores. Just remember that.
Stomatella snails: These are hard to buy. They don't as hitchhikers on large LPS and other corals or rocks. I really like these guys for rock cleaning.

Thanks Nick. I really like my trochus snails too but don't care for the turbos because they knock everything around. I'm going to get a diamond goby once the tank matures some. I really liked mine and how much he sifted the sand but my bristle tooth tang killed it.

I'll be sure to grab some extra cerith snails.

About 4 months into the new tank, still holds water without leaking and still looks as good as the day I got it.

Thought I'd throw up a photo. Just put in the first few corals to see how it goes. Still trying to decide where I want to go with this tank coral/ fish wise in the future. Thinking I want a gigantea or two and some clams.

Last edited:
Back