Big tanks on second floor???

wcj_ink

Non-member
Does anyone here have a 150+ tank on a second floor of their place/apartment? I’ve been going back and forth about setting up a 160 in my place but not sure how big of a risk Im taking by doing so…i have seen some with 180s on a 2nd floor before and always wondered if they added support or not beforehand. I took measurements in the basement of the place i found where the joist are located, i know the tank will go across 5 joists against a load bearing wall. Would that be enough with all the other furniture in the room? Im just getting a feel for it not quite set on it either.

It sounds positive (5 joists, LB wall) but most floors bounce so that would be my concern. I don’t have the balls to do it without some type of support opposite the wall a bit past the tank

It sounds positive (5 joists, LB wall) but most floors bounce so that would be my concern. I don’t have the balls to do it without some type of support opposite the wall a bit past the tank
Opposite wall is another load bearing wall 13’ away. Unfortunately i wont have the luxury of tearing up my neighbors ceiling and putting down some support beams in his dining room (or maybe i can tell him im adding pillars and wrapping some grape vines around them for The aesthetics lmao) I talked to a couple of contractors that i know and most of them said yes it will be good but some have said they are not sure. So im hoping someone has had a huge tank on a second floor apartment and can share some light on what they experienced by doing so.

Opposite wall is another load bearing wall 13’ away. Unfortunately i wont have the luxury of tearing up my neighbors ceiling and putting down some support beams in his dining room (or maybe i can tell him im adding pillars and wrapping some grape vines around them for The aesthetics lmao) I talked to a couple of contractors that i know and most of them said yes it will be good but some have said they are not sure. So im hoping someone has had a huge tank on a second floor apartment and can share some light on what they experienced by doing so.
You're just trying to improve it for your neighbors. Nice of you. :)

Tell them you'll throw in a big inflatable pool, minus the water, that they can put down. In the event of a catastrophe then they'll also have a usable pool.

If apt. Check with landlord. No tanks allowed in my rentals for obvious reasons. Second floor for a large tank above 75g is asking for big problems, big problems. It can be done. Which way do joists run. 2x4 or 2x6 old house. Can 1st floor be supported? Is it a home you own? Im rehabbing old vic. Got a 180g 30g sump along a load bearing with 2x6 joists over a basement. No way would i attempt to put it on second floor unless my contractors engineered steel supports running along joists. Find a apt on 1st floor with access to basement. Just make sure tank not over furnace or youll surely be going to court.

If apt. Check with landlord. No tanks allowed in my rentals for obvious reasons. Second floor for a large tank above 75g is asking for big problems, big problems. It can be done. Which way do joists run. 2x4 or 2x6 old house. Can 1st floor be supported? Is it a home you own? Im rehabbing old vic. Got a 180g 30g sump along a load bearing with 2x6 joists over a basement. No way would i attempt to put it on second floor unless my contractors engineered steel supports running along joists. Find a apt on 1st floor with access to basement. Just make sure tank not over furnace or youll surely be going to court.
I e been here for over 10yrs, my landlord knows about my reef tanks lol. I’ve had a 125 in the spot i was planning to put the 160, then i downsized to a 93 corner and then downsized again to a 50Nuvo…anyways i sold the 750xxl and went with a reefer 350. I just finished setting it up now:) thanks!

Back