Biggest Tank For Me

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
Okay, I'm thinking about upgrading from my 20L. I have one thing that I want to keep though.... I dont want to go above the 1 250W DE MH fixture I have now. I just can't afford to buy/run another MH light, and with the amount that 1 heats the room, I dont want another.

Whats the biggest tank I could go to?

I was thinking about a 60 gallon cube..like Melody has... theyre 24x24x25h I think. (traditional logic says 24x24 is what a MH can cover)

Any other options that you guys can think of?

You could also go slightly larger than 24x24 and keep lower light stuff around the edges. you don't want the rocks close to any glass you try to keep clean anyway. A 30x30x24 would be really cool. about 95 gallons.

60 cube, i have seen a 92 corner lit very well with 1 250. If you want I can turn off 1 of mine and send you a pic and that would be what it looks like w/1 250.

They do shows in the area sometimes and you can pick them up. That is what we did with ours. We drove to whiteplains ny to pick up a 120, but they have had shows in boston and ct in the past

I found that a flat back hex tank will work for one single pendant. The two cross bars for flat back hex tank are on the side.

Or may be a big hex tank also will work.

oceanic 58 gallon. 36x18x21. i have one and i love it. i have a 250de and a 96w pc, but ran only the 250 for the first little while and everything did great. same footprint as a 40,50,65, but no center brace. thats the whole reason i got that tank.

try to find it used. i bought one brand new and it was $270. it was worth it to me because of the whole center brace thing. its also oceanic so the price is automatic high if purchased new. like i said before, i absolutely love the tank.

here are some lousy pics but can give you an idea.

Attachments

• 58.JPG
    58.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 58_2.JPG
    58_2.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 58_3.JPG
    58_3.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 127
thanks dude.

I like.

anyone know of any other tanks around that size area that dont have a center brace? (just want to know where my options lie)

I just put on my new 250de on my 58g today its a great tank. I was going to go with 2 250s but one in plenty

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 145
flighty, you're gonna kill me, you know that right?

i wanted to put it off....but I may have to jump on that.

Personally I have an oceanic 58 with a single 10k 400 and two 96w pc actinics. If I did it again I would use a single 250 de and 2 3 ft vho actinics.

Either way the 24x24 area thing isn't set in stone. Remember the bulb isn's just a circle in the middle of the tank, the spread is more oval so one bright bulb can be great in a 3 ft tank.

Go for a 58, they are nice tanks and allow some really nice aquascaping opps.

Sch 1013,

Don't you love it. When I set my single MH with actinic up on my 58 I was blown away at how well it worked

I personally love cubes and if it were me and my show tank I would want a tank that would make you say WOW. My vote is cube (30x30x24).
Patience is a virtue, especially in this hobby :)

Good Luck

Back