Biocube Newbie

cafishgirl

Non-member
Hi, My name is Shannon and I'm a newbie biocube owner. First saltwater tank for me. My friend "snidgetless" introduced me to the hobby, and I'm looking forward learning more as it progresses. The tank has been up and running for about 4 weeks now with one damsel (other two passed away due to pre-existing medical conditions), but the last one is doing really well so I'm optomistic. Can't wait to start adding more serious critters. I'm sure I'll be on this site a bunch asking questions and checking things out. Thanks!

Howdy Shannon, and welcome to the BRS!

Sounds like a cool cube you've go going there.
Post some pics!

Where are you from?

Hi Greg, Aquaman and Moe, thanks for the welcome! Yep, I'm originally from CA and I've been out here for about 8 years now. "Fishgirl" because I'm a shellfish biologist/program coordinator for the state fisheries office in Boston. Did some testing on the cube this morning and it looks like the tank is ready for it's first additions. Will add a few hermit crabs and another fish tomorrow. Any recommendations for a good starter? Green clown goby, firefish, canary blenny? The only fish I have so far is a very small domino damsel. Thanks again for the welcome.

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Hi Greg, Aquaman and Moe, thanks for the welcome! Yep, I'm originally from CA and I've been out here for about 8 years now. "Fishgirl" because I'm a shellfish biologist/program coordinator for the state fisheries office in Boston. Did some testing on the cube this morning and it looks like the tank is ready for it's first additions. Will add a few hermit crabs and another fish tomorrow. Any recommendations for a good starter? Green clown goby, firefish, canary blenny? The only fish I have so far is a very small domino damsel. Thanks again for the welcome.

Oooh, that domino will be a punk to any new fish entering the tank.
A timid fish like a firefish may be so spooked, it won't come out to eat.

How many gallons are we talking? I may have missed that.

What Moe said. I love firefish, but they are easily scared. I'd think twice about keeping the damsel in there. In a small tank they can really be a terror.

Dominos get fairly large as well. I've got to second re-thinking keeping him in there. Damsels can be real terrors, especially in small tanks.

Give him to me, my Lionfish always plays nice with Damsels.....

Sounds like from what you guys have said that I need to find my damsel a good home (one that won't eat her:eek:), but thank you for the offer Snidgetless. I'll even deliver her! Thanks for the advise; I wouldn't want to introduce a new fish only to have it picked on by another.

Sounds like from what you guys have said that I need to find my damsel a good home (one that won't eat her:eek:), but thank you for the offer Snidgetless. I'll even deliver her! Thanks for the advise; I wouldn't want to introduce a new fish only to have it picked on by another.

Most LFS will give you 1/2 store credit for anything you bring in. You could trade the damsel in to help offset the price of whatever you pick up.

Back