Blue Barrels

littlep93056

Non-member
At the meeting at Dawn's there was a few of us talking about blue barrels for MACNA & somebody said they can get them clean & sterilized for $15.00 ,i'm looking for 4 of them ,so who ever it is please contact me

there will be barrels after macna. i'm sure there will be some sort of post about it.

How long can NSW be stored? Any chance of stocking up for a winters worth of water changes?

Jim

Can't see why it couldn't be stored forever - your big concern would be if you got a lot of organics and they died and began to rot and putrify. Why not collect in the winter - the water's even cleaner then.

Ken

NSW Storage

Why store it? .. plumb it into your system and let it circulate.

Seems I read somewhere that large public aquariums rarely change water, or perhaps it was on some website, the idea that was being promoted was algae scrubbers, I do remember that.

Regards
Noel

Last edited:
You can get them at the veryfine factory in Littleton. Forget how much they charge for them but it is really cheap. They are most likely sticky from apple juice.

Storage of NSW

littlep93056 said:
good question , Does any body know ? ? ?
p,

This was a topic that came up before. Basically, there are two approaches. But before I begin, NSW is far from sterile, no matter how clean it looks. As such, just like storing water you've changed out of your tank, you can take one of two approaches, but whatever you do, don't just let it sit around.

One approach is the sterile approach. Here, you would basically use a UV sterilizer on your NSW system to nuke anything that is alive or grows in it. I am not sure if UV sterilizers in the hobby are up to the task. They tend to be fairly weak.

Another approach is microbial stabilization. Here, you would aerate, heat, and circulate your NSW, devoid of fish or other lifeforms, until you are ready to use it. What organic and living matter is in the NSW will eventually stabilize at some equilibrium point. If you have an algae problem, you can always use snails.

But don't just let NSW sit. Eventually it will stabilize, but not without going anoxic and putrifying first,

Matt:cool:

Verifine is not locally owned anymore. They are now owned by Kraft foods. We are working on getting 25-30 for MACNA but it is not as easy as it was. The used to give them to the locals. It would be a great help if people would like to take barrel home on Sunday of MACNA. We would like to get back what we pay for these $12-15 each. We will be cutting 9 inch holes in the top for the pumps.

Where do you guys get NSW? which beach is clean enough? Thanks a lot.

By the way I do have a blue barrel about 20 to 30 gallon and was used to store silical gel. I am a chemist and we toss out these kind of barrel all the time as trash.

Hey, another place to look for barrels is at Marinas and places that build floating docks. They use the barrels as the floats under the docks. I have a few at my summer house and I see them all over the place.

Back