Blue Barrels

Thanks to RobboT info. , i have found a place for new ;

30 gal. open top,lid w/lever ring $36.50 (food grade plastic)
55 gal. open top,lid w/lever ring $49.00 (food grade plastic)

lids have a gasket

Last edited:
Years ago, I was able to buy 35 and 55 gallon drums from a woman in Northwoods
NH. It's about 20-30 minutes north of Portsmouth.

She had tons of these barrels on her property. She got them from a Coca-Cola
bottler somewhere in NH. It's what Coke used to ship the syrup to their distributors.
The barrels were cheap, it just took a little while to rinse them out, as they smelled of
Sprite and Coca-Cola. They were really heavy duty plastic.

I worked up at Gortons Seafood processing plant in Gloucester. They just throw these away. I could probably call in a favor if somebody wants a 55 that has been filled with some sort of food grade product

Seawater has 'critters' in it. If you collect it and leave it in a barrel the critters will die and fall to the bottom, no big deal. They will also degrade, adding a small amount of nutrients to the water. Unless you seal the water container, or there is a huge amount of 'critters' in the water the water is not likely to go 'anaerobic'. What I mean by this is that if seawater with any significant amount of 'stuff' in it is kept in a low or very low dissolved oxygen condition, then the anaerobic bacteria in the water will start to use sulfate as an electron receptor (or is it donar, I don't remember)...anyhow, when they do this the sulfate will be converted to hydrogen sulfide, of which our human noses are very sensitive to (rotten eggs smell). So............if I were to collect NSW (much too much trouble for me) I would just put it in a big loosely covered barrel. After everything died I would just siphon out the water trying not to disturb the debris on the bottom. If I smelled hydrogen sulfide I would toss in an airstone for a few days until I didn't smell it any longer. You could also leave an airstone in continuously after collection if you though there were a lot of 'critters' in the water.

I really wish I lived in say, florida.

(Goes out, grabs some water, adds directly to tank)(Stops, picks up a complete Detritivore kit off the nearby ocean rocks) (etc etc etc)
(stops to admire biniki on wheels <rollblades>) ETc etc etc

Piscevore said:
I really wish I lived in say, florida.
Not last Friday you didn't;)

I was so nervous. My whole family lives in St. Petersburg. Thankfully, the storm changed course at the last minute, and St. Petersburg barely got hit. Punta Gorda, on the other hand, got hammered,

Matt:cool:

Here's a pic of the 30 gallon barrels

this two are for RO/DI water

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Dude, I got open top 55 gal barrels by the load. 10.00 a pop. They had fruit juice & soda in them. I have about 75 of them total. I though you were looking for sealed barrels with a little screw cap. These are them with the tops cut off though. I have semi transparent ones & white ones that the sun can't get through. Any takers?

Aquaman,

So if I understand your post correctly, basically what you have are the same thing as p posted, minus the lid? I wonder if the lid can be purchased separately? Do you have pictures?

Matt:cool:

Back