breeding black percs

stnmasn

stnmasn
finally my 2 super nice australian black percula clowns are showing signs of breeding..she is swollen,, they are prepping an area in my 75 gal reef which has 1 flame hawk, 2 yellowtail damsels, 3 anthias, and a yellow tang. can i leave the pair in there and try and remove the fry when hatched or are tankmates going to be problem eating eggs. (can the percs protect their eggs?) Are they going to have black babies? is there a site l can go to to get info on exactly what l should do to have success breeding my percs..l am not a novice reefer but l am a complete novice breeder..

You an definitely use a larvae collector to collect the fry on the night that they hatch. I built one and did this for quite a while on established reef tanks so I didn't disrupt everything else in the tank. If you don't collect them they will get eaten by everything in the tank, including the parents. There are a lot of great sites out there that have information regarding raising clownfish. A great book that you should pick up if you are interested in pursuing this in the future is Clownfish by Joyce Wilkerson. This is a must for any aspiring clownfish breeder. Good luck, it is a lot of fun, but a LOT of work.

Jamison

thanks for your response Jamison..l have found some great info online...oh yea my clowns laid their first batch of eggs last nite at around 6 45..l am very excited. thanks again

Back