Bridging the 3.5 degree thermal gap...

JeremyAN7

Non-member
Hey folks.. So now I have this nifty-neatoh (technical term) MH fixture.. 2x15hqi+2x110vho. It's great, but as you may expect, is raising the tank temp at day time quite a bit. I don't currently have a chiller.. BUT, I'm now getting a 3.5 degree day/night swing (likely summer only as the ambient temp in the room is 8 degrees warmer in the summer, and in the winter, I'd imagine the heater will just work less..)

The MH balast is under the tank in the stand, which produces a reasonably large amount of heat. My plan is to put an exhaust fan there to move the heat out from under the stand. I figure that's good for maybe 1 degree of swing.

I plan on putting a small PC fan in the hood (outside the fixture to move some air up there and keep the air just above the water cooler.. I figure that might be good for about 1 degree, as it may pick up some evaporative cooling too. (this will be on the same timer as the MH about 7 hours a day)

I also plan on installing the ICEPROBE (mini chillier) which in a 72g tank is like spitting in the wind, but I figure it's good for about 1 degree...(this will be on the same timer as the actinics for 10 hours a day)

Which when you add them all up, may be good for about 3 degrees.

Doing all this, do you think I'll get my day/night spread down to 1 degree or less? (that's the goal)

Fans will help tremendously to cool the tank. I don't think that you need to change a 3 degree swing though. My tank swings 4 degrees every day with the light cycle and I haven't seen a problem.

A 3 degree swing is nothing. 5-7 degrees, you can have a big problem. Fans alone should give you the slightly cooler temp you desire.
Good luck.
M.

A small fan from above blowing directly on the water will lower the tank a few degrees. You can hook it in with your light timer so they go on at the same time.
Small swings are natural on the reef. There is a big difference between the night and early morning and the mid day temperatures of the air and water.
Good luck in gettng it the way that you want it.

Go to wallmart and buy a couple of desk fans, one to put on the sump and one across the top of your tank. This is what I do and I have never run a chiller and usually stay between 79-81.5

Running 2.5 years same way, high of 85/6 on one occasion, low of 75
My purple rim cap is huge, growing out of the water
My Orange cap I had to chop the bottom 3" off & lower it into the water

In the summer my tank runs around 83/4 at a peak for the most part, cooling off at night to 78-80

In October I had to do a clean up & get rid of a bunch of stuff
Most of it I just gave away

I'll be doing the same thing again shortly

Back