Bristle worms to keep or not to keep?

Nickt

Non-member
So I keep on pulling bristle worms out of my refugium. Not sure if I should keep them or get rid of them. I also have a log one in my dt I can't reach him to get it out. I have heard mixed thoughts on them. I've also heard horror stories about them.

If it's too big and too many I would take them out. Otherwise, they're good to have for cleaning up uneaten food and waste. It's only when you have a big one that ran out of food to eat and start tasting your corals.

If it's too big and too many I would take them out. Otherwise, they're good to have for cleaning up uneaten food and waste. It's only when you have a big one that ran out of food to eat and start tasting your corals.

That's pretty much what I do. When I move frags on the sandbed and I see bristle worms, if they're small enough I'll leave them alone sometimes, but if they're about an inch long, then I'll take them out with tweezers.

I'll leave them alone sometimes, but if they're about an inch long, then I'll take them out with tweezers.

I have one in my tank that's easily 9-12 inches long; and about the size of my pinky. Haven't seen it in about a week though. Usually I see it from 9:30pm on when the lights are out.

They're really part of the CUC.
I don't think you could totally get rid of all of them.
Just the ones you might see.

hell I got some that are at least 8-9 inches long . like they say keep till they are too many , when you see them all over the rocks at night and see them during the day then there are too many

I have many of those big worms and they are 4 to 9 inch long, big and fat, I take them out for a walk in the wood once a while.

Haha much like they have said above, if theyre in your refuge they shouldn't be an issue but sometimes they get to be giant and bother corals. Other than that I would just consider it part of your clean up crew and beneficial to the overall health of your tank

Thanks guys. Dong have fun taking your worms for a walk lol

Once I found one of the giant one wrapped itself around a sea cucumber, that was not nice at all.
I took him out in the wood and ...have a nice long walk, it is still enjoying the wood, I guess

It hurts when they shoot you with their shiny little needles. I got rid of mine

I have literally 3-4 dozen of them in a 5g, and each one is atleast 5" long or so. They're beneficial. I love em! Never had an issue. My wrasse eats them in the 16g though.

Back