brown seaweed

mcf6188

Non-member
hi all just came back from a 5 dayer up north and a have a brown seaweed out break it is @ 1/2 of the back of tank . i heard a yellow tang will help. .it seams i have to take out @ 15 gal to clean it out. does any have any suggestions. sure would help .one thing i do not have a skimmer .but thats is not going to help with the seaweed ??????. thanks

Can you post a picture to show exactly what you are dealing with? In general, you would want to solve the problem vs. a band-aid, which in this case, a tang would be a band-aid. Since skimmers help pull nutrients/proteins/etc out of the water, and algae grows very quickly when there are plenty of nutrients, in all likelihood, a skimmer would help.

MARSHALL i thought a tang would do the trick i had to be sure. i only have a 40 breeder so in @ a year [ not sure] i have to sell it off ... and i know i have to get a skimmer. not sure were to go .i will do more reading on this .thanks

are all tangs alga eaters or just yellow. i was getting a dwarf tang. would that help . i am sure you can put one in a tank my size ??????

My friend, a tang is something remote from what you need. I would look at what is causing the algae, excess phos, over feeding, etc. Rather than get an animal that will outgrow your 40b in a very small amount of time and only eat the algae as it is hungry. Also something that may be worth noting is that if you are testing and your results are coming up saying you have 0 phos, your algae most likely is consuming it as soon as it's being produced.

i do not have a test for phos . and i know it is part of a cycle and on a new tank.i have had it up for @ 3 mos give or take a week . i have put in chem clean seem to do very little. it is just nasty .i have done 3 5gal change in a week time . i knew a tang would out grow in a short time. i would like it gone. how about dwarf tangs. i might go that route .

Even the smallest tangs are not going to be happy in a 40 for very long. If you have that much algae growth you will be better served addressing the nutrient issues rather than trying to get something to eat it(eat=fish doo=nutrients still locked in system .
the smallest tangs that I know of are the Scopas and the Bristletooth
both would not be happy in a 40 when they reach adulthood

SKIMMER /MEDIA REACTOR /MECHANICAL FILTER / LIGHTING WILL BE WHERE I BE SPENDING MY TIME AND MONEY .

Last edited:
well it will not stop growing .on friday i cleaned every thing i mean every thing. today i almost lost it 100% it is coming back slowly. i have had nothing but major problems ever-since i started this 40 breeder up. i am so close to lose 50% of the coral i just bought . in a week i am going to throw every thing in the trash if i can not see a diff. so please anyone have a idea to help please. ````````BROWN ALGAE IS A SWEET PAIN . also what is a test called phos i do not know. thank to all .i am so sorry to burden all you dudes

Id get a phosban reactor and run gfo, after that's set up have a loghts out period of three days this will kill some of the algae and the GFO will absorb the nutrients leeched back into the water. Additionally you may want to consider algaecide as well. This three prong approach should clear up the issue.

well well i am hopping all is well on the algae out break . i believe it was the lights. i bought led and wow were they strong.after a major clean .i turned the lights to less then half and seems to be cool ..i lost a lot i mean a lot of coral over the past. 3 mos. .i am going to hold off for a while b4 i get more. I HOPE ALL IS WELL ... every day i am afraid to see the tank . it has not been a enjoyable at all . .but thanks for all the help .hope to see y'all at the next meeting .

A picture of what you're dealing with can help drastically. As the tank is new I'm betting on diatoms, but could also be a form of dinos. We can suggest all sorts of things but without seeing it they are all shots in the dark. If it is dinos, water changes can actually fuel them more.

Back