BRS Dive Trip in January?

Shallowwaters

Non-member
Anybody up for a three-day BRS dive trip to somewhere in the Carribbean?

Not the ultimate, but easy to get to, is Cozumel. I've done the trip affordably with a three days of non-stop diving.

I'd be up for anywhere with easy direct, round-trip flights from Boston over a long weekend as I cannot justify a week away from the family.

Just gauging interest.

HMM I would be up for it if someone could tell me how to go about getting certified or whatever have never been diving , have attempted being taught with the tank and such on in the pool, but freaked, things on my back weighing me down = not good
but have decided to fight the fear ( I think ) and do it ....

sounds interesting..funny thing, i was thinking of looking into going diving somewhere on my way into work today..:D

3 days would be good enough for me ...any issues with diving/flying on same day?

you cant fly right after you dive, I believe you need to wait 24 hours. My wife and I went to get certified in Hawaii on our honeymoon. She ended up getting certified, I didn't. It was weird though I had 3 dives but the second dive of each day I would get freaked out, I'd go down like 2 feet and couldnt go down anymore. Nevertheless, the 3 times I was down there it was amazing.

yeah,,i had major issues on my 1st dive. mask w/water, ear pains.. i almost just surfaced and went back to shore... once the issues cleared up,,it was great...even though the dive site was horrible...

How about Aruba in early march? :D We'll be there and know all the good dive sites and some good dive bars for liquid relief.

picasso said:
you cant fly right after you dive, I believe you need to wait 24 hours. My wife and I went to get certified in Hawaii on our honeymoon. She ended up getting certified, I didn't. It was weird though I had 3 dives but the second dive of each day I would get freaked out, I'd go down like 2 feet and couldnt go down anymore. Nevertheless, the 3 times I was down there it was amazing.

Depends on how deep you go down & how long you stay. I usually do my deep dives in the begining of my trip & do the puddle dives at the end.

skyedolphan said:
HMM I would be up for it if someone could tell me how to go about getting certified or whatever have never been diving , have attempted being taught with the tank and such on in the pool, but freaked, things on my back weighing me down = not good

Dawn, You can do a scuba discovery class while your there. There are some places that you can get certified right at the resort.

Three Days

Three days would allow 1.5 day of diving at most. Some dive computers allow air travel after 12 hours, but waiting 24 hours to travel by air after diving is more conservative, especially after repetitive dives

If you get to Cozumel early on a Friday morning (tough to do) you could dive Friday morning, afternoon, and evening and Saturday morning as long as the return flight is in the afternoon on Sunday.

Shallowwaters said:
Anybody up for a three-day BRS dive trip to somewhere in the Carribbean?

Not the ultimate, but easy to get to, is Cozumel. I've done the trip affordably with a three days of non-stop diving.

I'd be up for anywhere with easy direct, round-trip flights from Boston over a long weekend as I cannot justify a week away from the family.

Just gauging interest.

Scuba

Plenty of time to complete your classwork and pool certification, then you can get a referral letter from your instructor and complete Basic Open Water Cert in the tropics. I don't recommend Discover SCUBA course, especially for someone who is not comfortable in the water.

skyedolphan said:

Somebody mentioned Aruba, they must be hurting from all the bad publicity, hence some really good rates?
I would be interested but donot think Jan is a good time for me, tmeing and financially. I hope to go while we are on our cruise to the Carribbean for the next few weeks... As I am a fair weather diver, it has been a while and am rather anxious bout going down, however once there.... I'm over it :D
Sounds like a great time! Do you all try to do this often?
Denise

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Three days would allow 1.5 day of diving at most. Some dive computers allow air travel after 12 hours, but waiting 24 hours to travel by air after diving is more conservative, especially after repetitive dives

If you get to Cozumel early on a Friday morning (tough to do) you could dive Friday morning, afternoon, and evening and Saturday morning as long as the return flight is in the afternoon on Sunday.

Boy, you folks are sticklers for details. :D If I remember the way I've done it in the past we flew in Thursday and left on Monday. I guess you could call that more than a three day trip. Chuck are you just commenting, interested, or interested in a longer trip?

Also, about Cozumel... I am familiar with much more exotic dive destinations, but when visiting Cozumel, you can stay at a cheap hotel right across the street from where dive boats pick up along the restaurant row. It's not a resort/beach type trip, but a dive trip. Fly down, get wet, and come back. It's kind of like a dive fix. I use frequent flyer miles and the local non-resort hotels are nearly free when you share rooms.

Luxury trips are great. It's also nice to pop down to the Carribbean and get wet. And a short trip is VERY easy for me to justify.

It's probably not what everybody would want to do, but I can't take a week long trip without my family.

Denise Goodheart said:
Sounds like a great time! Do you all try to do this often?
Denise

Denise,
This is just an out-of-the-blue suggestion for a quick trip and not an official BRS initiative. I believe there have been occasional super trips to Micronesia formally coordinated by club members.

I would be suggesting we pick dates, a destination, a recommend a schedule and then everybody can make their own arrangements.

Back