BRS newbie!

Palyanna

Nano Princess
Hello! My name is Wendy. I have been on the site many times; but, this is actually my first post. I figured that the polite thing to do would be to finally introduce myself. I am new to reefkeeping; but, not exactly a “reef virgin” – for many years I have admired the beauty of my brother’s reef tank and spent countless hours gazing at its splendor. This year for Valentine’s Day my brother gave me an awesome gift – he set up a 14 gallon nano reef tank for me! (Some of you have probably seen pictures of my nano on-line in the Photography forum . . .) At the outset I had no idea how addicted I would become in such a short period of time. (I think my family is secretly planning an intervention for me . . . )

My tank quickly developed into a sort of species specific tank that contains primarily Florida Ricordea. I don’t know what it is about Florida Ricordea that intrigues me so much; but, I find them absolutely fascinating little creatures. I am having fun and learning so many new things (I just wish I had paid more attention in science class when I was a kid!) I think that I am off to a great start although I must admit that it helps to have a resident reefer around to teach me what I need to know to help ensure my success in the hobby; and for that, I am truly grateful. It’s like having a personal Reef Sherpa!

By day, I am a practicing attorney who works in Boston; by night, I have become a reef maniac! Call me a dork; but, one of my new favorite pastimes is waiting until the daylights go out so I can see all my corals glow under the actinics.

From what I have viewed on the site thus far, there appears to be a lot of camaraderie and friendly exchange of advice/information on the forums. I look forward to chatting with you all! Here are some pictures of my tank as of today . . .

Since Valentine’s Day 2008, these corals/creatures have “commenced occupancy” in my nano:

a plethora of Ricordea Florida
1 Acanthastrea Lordhowensis (another 2 beauties on the way!)
2 frags of Extreme Nova Favia
1 piece of Micro Dendrophilia
1 mated pair of black and white Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Citron Clown Goby
1 Hard Tube Coco Worm (peppermint)
1 purple Tunicate
1 red Linkia Starfish
1 little red starfish (not sure what species – possibly Fromia) with only has 4 arms! (appears to be a deformity)
numerous zooanthids and palythoas including: “Pluto Polyps”; “Martian Moons”; “Tub’s Blues”; “Candy Apple Reds”, “Sunflowers”, “Pink Passions”, etc.
1 cleaner shrimp
1 gorgeous Sebae Anemone (white with purple tips and a bright yellow base)
2 tree corals (1 purple and 1 yellow)
the usual clean-up crew members . . .

Last edited:
Wow, Wendy....Nice...Welcome to the club & forum...(& also a late welcome to the hobby) your working fast!!! Looks like you need an upgrade!!!:D

B

Thanks. I am just trying to make up for lost time. Hopefully, soon I will be able to just sit back and enjoy!

Welcome to the hobby!

FWIW, Linkia starfish need 100+ gallon tank with a mature sandbed to live. Check it out here.

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Very nice set-up. I'm thinking of something similar now.

Welcome Wendy!

That is a pretty sweet looking tank you have....it has like a bizzilion Rics which is pretty cool:).

Thank you all for your kind words. My tank may not be the biggest; but, I am going to keep working at making it even more colorful and interesting. It's cool to see a vision come to fruition. :)

Hi Wendy and welcome.

Here's what you do. :D

Since you're a practicing attorney you definitely need the nano in your office at work. That will help you unwind during stressful times. Or it will totally consume you and all your clients will rot in jail or not get their settlements. ;)

Then you get a bigger tank for home! Now howza about that for an idea?!?

EDIT: The Ricordia tank is SWEET!

The nano stays at home - our cleaning lady would probably kill it at the office . . . The tank definitely works wonders after a stressful day! I primarily practice in civil litigation and residential and commercial real estate. I do not have sympathy for criminals . . . Besides, we already have a bigger tank - my brother's!

The nano stays at home - our cleaning lady would probably kill it at the office . . . The tank definitely works wonders after a stressful day! I primarily practice in civil litigation and residential and commercial real estate. I do not have sympathy for criminals . . . Besides, we already have a bigger tank - my brother's!

When I hired my cleaning lady for the house I told her never to go near the tanks for cleaning purposes. No glass cleaner nothing.

2 years in and no cleaning lady mishaps (knock on wood).

Thank you once again to all the BRS members who took a moment to read my introduction and welcome me to "the club". I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I look forward to viewing your future posts and sharing experiences. Best regards! :)

Welcome to the club Wendy. What firm are you at downtown? I have a lot of friends at various firms in the financial district. Maybe we have mutual friends.

I love the pics of your tank! I have a 12 gallon nano and when I first set up my live rock I made a U shape but have quickly found that it prevents my snails from cleaning certain parts of the tank - this weekend I am planning on re-doing the set up and putting the rock in the middle similar to how you have your set up.

any suggestions on easy to keep corals? My boyfriend has been in the hobby for about four years now and recently he began picking up coral frags from other BRS members - I would like to start adding some color to the tank, but the set up is new so I want to be sure everything survives.

Back