Calcium reactor with apex

ZachM4

Non-member
Im looking to get an apex controller what is needed to run a calcium reactor from it anyone have any expierience with it thanks for any help

You would use the PH control function to control a Ca reactor.

Either install a PH probe in the reactor, and a solenoid on the Co2 supply and use the APEX to keep the PH in the reactor in a set range, OR you would set up the reactor manually but add the solenoid to the Co2 supply and use the APEX to shut down the Co2 to the reactor if the PH in the tank falls below a set point. (or you could have both of these controls at the same time if you have 2 PH probes).

If you do use it make sure you use a defer statement. you should be using that on your reactor, top off, and temp probes, and other things as well. If you dont know what one is, it makes sure a condition is met for a set amount of time before it changes it. In the case of a top off if your float switch moves a tiny bit it will cycle your pump off/on continuously. Likewise if your temp varies it will have your heaters on and off all day. I make it different for each device. You might want your heat to be at 78.0 for a minute before it turns on/off, but you wouldnt want a top off to remain on for a minute before it shut off. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Good Luck Derek

So do I order the apex with 2 ph probes and plug one into the ph/orp outlet or do I order something different

So do I order the apex with 2 ph probes and plug one into the ph/orp outlet or do I order something different

There are endless ways to set up an APEX so there is no one answer to the question. IMO/IME ORP isn't all that useful to monitor, and the probes don't last long so a second PH meter isn't a bad idea. If I were you I'd probably go with a PH probe in the Ca reactor and another to monitor the system PH in general, but you definately don't need two. Maybe just get what you need now, and if you decide to you can add a second probe later.

I control my Ca reactor with a dedicated pH probe and monitor the tank with another. Once you have a nice drip on the Ca reactor throughout use the pH level to turn the CO2 regulator on and off, keeping pH in the reactor level where you want it. A bit higher and less media dissolves so less Ca and carbonate are added. A little lower pH and more.

So my question is I guess will ordering a basic apex package with an additional ph probe do what I want or do I need other pieces like break out box ect ... To make this work

If you are running the Apex as a PH controller to control the PH in the calcium reactor then yes.

Just an FYI:
You can run the reactor without a PH controller or solenoid. You just tune it to the tanks demand. I find it safer as there are less fail points i.e PH probe and solenoid failures. But many run them with controller and Solenoids. Totally personal personal preference but if you tune it to the tank you do not need the second probe

Back