Can someone help me figure this out!

But where the red top is, it doesn't come off, it's sealed shut so I don't know how you could put anything in there..

It may be where the water drains in and the right side of the sump is for a fuge. I have seen complicated designs like that before

I honestly think it's just a baffle. Water flows down into the acrylic cylinder, over and out, over and under the baffles and onto a drip plate, through bioballs and into the sponge.

Most people just use an empty tank for a sump and design it however you choose--with refugium, baffles or whatever. But I'm sure you could use a dremel to cut it off. A sump just removes water from your display, allows you to skim, mechanically filters whatever you want to filter, adds aeration and does whatever else you want it to do. Just sort of a holding area for water you pull out and to treat. So you can do whatever you want with it really.

Only way is to cut it out. Don't try to pry or break it out or you will almost definatly crack the sump. That sure is a funky design though. My opinion would be leave it alone and try to come up with a way to use it as it is. I'm just a bit confused on the purpose of having the drain chamber in the center. I would love to seethe mfg's original design or application.....

looks like it could work as a skimer, water pump with air venturi in the first chamber hooks to the barbed elbow at the top and a colection cup would screw onto the white threaded fiting and bam it's a skimer

It is a AIO sump with a Precision Marine skimmer build in. Looks like some parts of the skimmer is missing.

Back