can someone tell me what this is?

creatureteacher

Non-member
I was given this thing about a year ago and initially thought it was a sponge. It has grown a bit and I no longer think it is a sponge. It doesn't seem to have any openings in it for water to pass through as a sponge would have. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5540.JPG
    IMG_5540.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 409
Hard to tell from the pic. What is it's texture? Is it squishy like a gummy bear or is it hard like the rock? If it is squishy, it could be a type of sponge. If it is hard, it is probably some kind of encrusting monti. Beautiful color regardless.

Looks kinda like the blue ridge coral that Yanni has in his tank. Just a guess, very cool regardless tho

Looks kind of like what is in my sons tank, when I asked I was told it was a blue elephant ear sponge..

It is squishy and the reason I didn't think it was a sponge was because I didn't see any way for water to pass through it like you can see on most sponges. After some searching it looks like some sponges have small pores that perform that function without the large osculum I'm used to seeing on sponges. Looks like you're probably right and it's a sponge.

Back