Can someone tell me advantages/benefits of running a open top vs a closed top

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
im deciding whether or not to keep the glass cover over my tank, can someone tell me the advantages of each type of system?

Glass top:

Advantages.....less evaporation, fewer jumpers, no splash from surface agitation, quieter

Disadvantages...less evaporation (cooling), less oxygen exchange, less light penetrates through glass, cleaning it is a PITA

Im thinking I may get alot more growth from going topless. Im gonna try to it for a month and see if I like it

all I have are a couple of clowns and a blenny so im not too worried about jumpers

I left one of the panels open on my top once and had a clown jump on top and fry under the lights. Now I have a closed canopy on top.

I have a glass top on one side and I have eggcrate on the other. I get slightly less evaporation (I assume) but still get the air exchange. If you got topless, I would at least get eggcrate. You still could have a fish jump if startled or something could accidentally fall in.

tank cover

Topless all the way. Less heat so its easier on my chiller. Easier access. And if your running MH u get that cool shimmer effect! I've only had a few jumpers over the years but at the same time they were known to be jumpers. But there is always that risk. I say if they want to get out that bad then let them go. Lol

Don't bother with a glass cover. Either go open top or canopy. They both have advantages and disadvantages...

A well made canopy (with proper fan circulation design) will not have more heating problems. You will end up evaporating a bit more water with the air circulating over the water due to fans though.

I choose canopy for two reasons: No carpet surfing fish and lack of light spill over into the room. Glitter effects will happen in either open top or canopy if you are running MHs.

Back