Carbon

Steve H

Formerly sch1013
Whats the name of the good carbon, the one thats supposed to last 6 months, I need more and cannot remember the brand. Thanks

I use stuff from Petcetera that comes in bulk. It's cheap, so who cares how long it lasts. :)

Frankly I'd be suprised if any carbon could actually still be useful after a month in a normal tank. It can only absorb so much junk before it's full.

I found it, its the Boyd Chemi-pure, I'm usually rinse it one a week it probably dosen't work any better then anything else its just what I'm used to. Thanks for help

I think Chemipure is more than just carbon, although I've never used it. Too much of a black box for my liking. There are folks who say it does good things though.

Nate

last for six months? Chemipure?
Chemipure is a carbon substitute. I used to use it but now i'm using Black Diamond

ltelus said:
Not true, many of the cheaper carbons are low grade and can leach phosphates.

See I am wrong again
redface.gif
well I'm pretty new at all this stuff and eventually will get something correct
biggrin.gif

also, I believe the shape of the carbon matters as well. Irregular, rough carbon is better than smooth carbon. I also use black diamond, it seems to work well.

I used chemi pur for a long time. It is a mix with carbon and resins. I switched to the bulk carbon a while back and haven't noticed any difference, except a big difference in price! I just change it more often. I often wondered if chemi pur really lasts that long in a stocked tank........

Carbon is mostly saturated within 3 days, regardless of type, according to the testing that I have found on the net. This claim has been supported by the effect I have seen on soft coral polyp extension when using it on my tank, as well.

Filter material that incorporates synthetic polyesters and / or resins, such as Chemipure, Polyfilter, or Purigen last longer, but your mileage will vary. It all depends on the bioload on your tank and the contaminant profile that the particular filter media targets.

The bad thing about Chemipure, in my opinion, is because of the presence of carbon, etc., you cannot see the color change when it is saturated, unlike the other two products mentioned above.

The color change of a Polyfilter, for example, tells you alot about the effectiveness of your other filtration systems. If it turns brown in a week or so, then your skimmer is probably not good enough, as brown indicates an excess of organics. If it turns green, then it is absorbing copper, etc.

I used to be a big fan of Chemipure when I ran freshwater tanks many many years ago. Unfortunately, despite their marketing hype, the claim that Chemipure is effective for 6 months does not stand up in the light of any serious examination or testing that I have seen to date.

Kent

ltelus said:
Not true, many of the cheaper carbons are low grade and can leach phosphates.

My understanding is that all carbons will leech phosphates once they are saturated. Chemically, carbon is carbon. The physical composition will affect the effective surface area, resulting in higher capacity, but eventually, all carbon will saturate and leak.

Again, to claim otherwise by a vendor is almost assuredly a case of marketing hype coupled with very controlled testing to assert their claims under idealized conditions that will never be seen in a real world tank.

Disclaimer: Just my opinions, could all be wrong.

Kent

Last edited:
kent, you mentioned soft coral polyp extention....does this meen that they extend more when you need to use carbon or after you use it....what effect does carbon have on corals out side of clearing the water up?

aweeks95 said:
kent, you mentioned soft coral polyp extention....does this meen that they extend more when you need to use carbon or after you use it....what effect does carbon have on corals out side of clearing the water up?

I tend to run carbon for the first 3 days of every month. I have a small 29 gallon that is packed full of softies, so water quality is a challenge. Also have a HOB remora skimmer. The polyp extension of the more sensitive softies, such as leather corals, improves a day or two after the carbon is added.

The problem, or so I have read, is that the more aggressive softies tend to war with each other, releasing toxins, and the carbon helps to keep these under control. From my experience, water changes are more effective at controlling water quality, but carbon helps, as well. Carbon also helps to prevent the water from yellowing over time.

Kent

Back