Check those heaters!

marco67

Smart is.. a box of rocks
BRS Member
Responding to Moes' heater thread made me think....It's that time of year, getting cool some nights. Make sure they are plugged in rest the thermostat, check to see if it's accurate, pull the heater and put it in a bucket of cold water, make sure it heats it....etc..etc...

Responding to Moes' heater thread made me think....It's that time of year, getting cool some nights. Make sure they are plugged in rest the thermostat, check to see if it's accurate, pull the heater and put it in a bucket of cold water, make sure it heats it....etc..etc...

you saying I shoudnt just grab my hand around it and see it if works. you can tell trust me and I wouldnt hold long long

Thanks for the reminder. I actually pulled mine out all summer long. Now I'm putting mine back in with temperature set to 90degree(always on) and let the AC JR. controls it instead. I dont trust those built-in controller in the heater itself.

you saying I shoudnt just grab my hand around it and see it if works. you can tell trust me and I wouldnt hold long long
Under water it would be just fine......Funny you say that, I did have an employee do that last year. I had a water change mixing and heating, I said "Pull the heater and let's get ready to pump it in" next thing I know I hear YowiowiowEEEE ...YuP there he was holding the tit tube :cool:
Shhhh don't tell OSHA :eek:

Thanks for the reminder. I actually pulled mine out all summer long. Now I'm putting mine back in with temperature set to 90degree(always on) and let the AC JR. controls it instead. I dont trust those built-in controller in the heater itself.

So how's your electric bill?

Yup sure enough, my downstairs system was at 74 this morning, controler was on but the heater plug strip off.

I would probably be careful about seting my heater to 90 degrees. I keep my heater controller set to about 3 degrees more than I set my ACJr to. Just in case the ACJr ever fails and the heater program sticks to the on postion I won't fry my tank. Just my $.02.

I would probably be careful about seting my heater to 90 degrees. I keep my heater controller set to about 3 degrees more than I set my ACJr to. Just in case the ACJr ever fails and the heater program sticks to the on postion I won't fry my tank. Just my $.02.
I just ripped the controler of my won bros. titanium heater and plugged it directly to my AC jr. controler. You can also just get one of those finnex heating elements and its the same deal, just dont buy the seperate finnex controler. I also wrote a line on the AC jr. that if temp is < 80 heater off... that line is seperate from the regular heater on-off cycle. Theres also no way of preventing a disaster. The more you try, something will fail.

I just ripped the controler of my won bros. titanium heater and plugged it directly to my AC jr. controler. You can also just get one of those finnex heating elements and its the same deal, just dont buy the seperate finnex controler. I also wrote a line on the AC jr. that if temp is < 80 heater off... that line is seperate from the regular heater on-off cycle. Theres also no way of preventing a disaster. The more you try, something will fail.

did you have a problem with the finnex controller because i noticed my power light is inop on mine and althought the heater on light is on i am not trusting it.
All of my heaters are on a ranco so the finnex is just used for qt and mixing water but still a worry

I thoguht of that but the reason that I still run it through the controller and then into the ACJr is for an added measure of shut off back up in case of failure. I also run a second finnex heater/controller that I leave in the tank just as a back up which I guess in theory could create a problem should the controller crap out and stick it in the on position.

did you have a problem with the finnex controller because i noticed my power light is inop on mine and althought the heater on light is on i am not trusting it.
All of my heaters are on a ranco so the finnex is just used for qt and mixing water but still a worry

When I was using one of my Finnex the other night to mix up some water I noticed that the lights on my controller did not come on at all. I didn't take the time to check to see if the tube was heating up though, just used a glass one. I probably should check it out.

No. Ive never owned a finnex heater/controler. What I had a problem with was the won titanium controler. The heater wasent costant. Would kick on too high and when I turned it down then it would kick on too loo. So I just cut the controler, got a $2 plug from HD and pluged it to my direrct connect on the AC jr.
I thoguht of that but the reason that I still run it through the controller and then into the ACJr is for an added measure of shut off back up in case of failure. I also run a second finnex heater/controller that I leave in the tank just as a back up which I guess in theory could create a problem should the controller crap out and stick it in the on position.
That is the best way to do it and the safest. I couldnt use mine like that because the heater controller was acting up. I didnt want to try and mess with it and the AC jr. so I just operated on the heater. I should be trying to buy a new heater, maybe a finnex. It has been close to a year, granted the heater hasent turned on in god knows how long. I just like replacing my heaters frequently.

Back