Chiller in cabinet? Top on aquarium or not?

NancyPichette

Non-member
I just set up a 110 gallon aquarium. I have cords everywhere and I can't stand all the clutter. I am working on putting a old entertainment center around the aquarium and plan to hang my lights from the top of that. I would also like to put my chiller inside the cabinet. I have drilled tons of about 1 inch holes in all sides except the front door. Do you think this would be fine as far as circulation goes?

Light sytem is Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights 48" 729W

My new light system I received today says that it should only be used with a top on the aquarium. I don't have a top on the aquarium. Is this okay? I tried a piece of glass but the condensation was terrible and I doubt much light could get through with the glass not to mention the pain of having to take it off everytime I cleaned or added something new. I would like thoughts on top or no top and what does everyone use?
Thanks Nancy

sounds great any pics? i think you will be ok with the chiller maybe add a small fan in the back for the light hardly anyone runs a cover on the tank u should be fine

yeah that fan in the back is a good idea.i have a fairly new 1/4 hp chiller under my cabinet stand,and leave that cabinet door open a couple of inches(untill i can have another door made up with some sort of screening in the center )and anyway it was sort of starting to clang (from overheating)a little when it ended its cooling cycle.i have about 8 inches between the exhaust (back)end of the chiller and tilted it to direct the heat exhausting from it so it would be directed away from the wall and towards the open area between the wall and cabinet.i then angled a narrow double fan on the outside of the cabinet ,and it draws all the heat from the chiller into the room as it is also drawing fresh air from the opposite end of the cabinet/wall opening . the clanging and overheating stopped .

A couple of pictures. One before the light and a few after. I need to change my camera I think I have the settings or something wrong on this one. I never have been good at night photos though.
I'm still working on the cabinet and it's in the garage . I will take photos after its finished. I still have to finish sanding and then a few coats of paint . Hopefully I will finish it tomorrow.
Nancy

Attachments

• DSC_1922.JPG
    DSC_1922.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_1929.JPG
    DSC_1929.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_1936.JPG
    DSC_1936.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_1941.JPG
    DSC_1941.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 179
I just set up a 110 gallon aquarium. I have cords everywhere and I can't stand all the clutter. I am working on putting a old entertainment center around the aquarium and plan to hang my lights from the top of that. I would also like to put my chiller inside the cabinet. I have drilled tons of about 1 inch holes in all sides except the front door. Do you think this would be fine as far as circulation goes?

Light sytem is Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights 48" 729W

My new light system I received today says that it should only be used with a top on the aquarium. I don't have a top on the aquarium. Is this okay? I tried a piece of glass but the condensation was terrible and I doubt much light could get through with the glass not to mention the pain of having to take it off everytime I cleaned or added something new. I would like thoughts on top or no top and what does everyone use?
Thanks Nancy

On the chiller question...It is always better to plumb a chiller away from the tank & stand..They create alot of heat when running...Trust me when I say alot of heat...that heat is then transfered back to the tank in which your trying to chill...chiller stays on longer...tank stays hotter...just a circle.....

If you have a flow thru & have a basement... (& the tank is on the first floor) hang it just below the floor in the basement....This will help keep the heat your pulling from the tank down in the basement. It will help to cut down on energy consumption as well....

Best thing...not much head loss cause your only going down just below the cabinet...

If your is a drop in I just explained all that for nothing!!!:p

If you have any questions you can pm me if you like....
B

On the hood question...if you don't have wrasse or jumpers...I would not put a cover...it keeps the heat in & also cuts the light to the tank as well...when they get full of salt creep they will act like a shade...

HTH..

Thanks for replies. Still not sure about the chiller in the cabinet, maybe I will try it and see how it goes. In the basement is not a option, I have a basement but this area would be right over the pool table. If I have to I can cut all the sides out of the cabinet. I was thinking two I could cut out all of the back and leave the front doors open most of the time, just close them when company comes over so it looks nice :)
Thanks again, everyone's help has made it so much easier in setting up the aquariums especially the large one. I can't believe I done the plumbing by myself. 14, 29, 20 , 110 I think I'm ready for the 300 :)
I am a little worried about the weight on this one. Are these stands at the pet store strong enough to hold these aquariums with all the sand, water and rock? Seems like my doors are already getting stuck, is this normal?
Nancy

All good advise
But,
First be sure you even need to run the chiller. It sounds like you are going through a lot of work maybe for not

You have a deep tank there without a lot of surface area to heat, also T5s help. How much water volume in the rest of the system? Is your home air conditioned?

Marc,
My home does have air conditioning but we don't use it that much in the summer unless it gets really hot. I have noticed with my small 14 gallon it stays pretty close to 78-79 dgrees but it doesn't have HQI . The 29 gallon gets a little warm about 80 with the HQI. The 110 has 2- 250 wt HQI plus the T-5's so I figured it would get really warm. Right now I have a smaller chiller on it that I was using for the 20 gallon (rated for 40) and it runs all the time. I ordered a larger one for the 110 and was going to put the smaller one on the 29 for those really hot days in the summer.
I read the anemones are very finicky so I'm trying to keep everything as stable as possible for them. I also upgraded my skimmer hopefully it's a good one it had really good reviews, more on that later. I'm ramlbling :)
Thanks for the reply and advice it's really appreciated.
Nancy

Finished cabinet around aquarium/ before and after

I was unhappy with seeing all the cords around my aquarium. I had a old oak entertainment center in my basement around the kids TV so I sanded it down really good and painted it black to match my aquarium. I had drilled tons of holes in it for cords and chiller and things and i didn't want to see my white walls through the holes so I also painted my back wall black to blend it all in. It is still a work in progress since taking this photo i have added several pieces of pottery in front of the cords and later I hope to get a electrician to put some outlets inside the bottom of the cabinet. I also added hardware to the tank cabinet. I put my chiller in the tank cabinet for now it was to big for the cabinet that I drilled for it and so far it doesn't seem to be overheating at all. It doesn't kick on that often and when it does I just leave the doors open. I had to move my water top off system from the tank cabinet and hope to find the right size container for the other cabinet. I have to add about 1 1/2 gallons a day so this is getting old fast. Anyway here is a few photo's I think it turned out pretty good :)
Nancy

Attachments

• DSC_1929.JPG
    DSC_1929.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Wow... that looks really really sharp with the entertainment center around it... It almost looks like it was supposed to be like that all the time...

On a side note I've never been a fan or the picasso clowns but those are actually kind of nice (which for me is saying a lot :p)

Entertainment Center/ How high for lights?

Thanks guys! No I don't have access to the back because the aquarium is up against the wall. I can access from the sides by just moving the shelves. The entertainment center is three pieces. I've already had to do that about three times because my new light has been giving me problems. I think it had a short or something and the T'5's would keep going out so I would have to take it down and keep messing with the bulbs. One of the HQ's wasn't working so Dr's sent another right away but it was different than the other so that was all a pain :). I called them yesterday so they are just going to send me a new light. They have been really great!
How high do you think the lights should be above the water? I think my tank is about 30 inches tall. The lights (when straightened out) will be 2-250 MHQ and about 250 watts of T'5's .
Thanks Nancy

Back