chiller recommendations

nunofs said:
Btw, although I read a lot of reviews/opinions saying that this chiller was very quiet, it's really not that quiet (you were right, Armando)... it sounds like an old refrigerator... just perfect for my living room :rolleyes:

Nuno

That stinks! After you did all the work to try and please your wife and make it quiet. Does she mind?

She spends a lot of time in there with the kids, so I understand her issues with the noise... sometimes it bothers me and I'm not in there a tenth of the time she is... but I've heard it again today, and it's not that bad... on top of all the other noise coming from the tank :D

The good thing is that it seems to do the job pretty well... it only turned on twice during the afternoon today (I set the central AC temperature a bit higher to see how the chiller would do), for about 10 or 15 minutes each time. So it's not like it's making noise continuosly, it should be bearable.

Nuno

A "funny" story about the delivery of the chiller (I was expecting some lights too, two boxes total from reefgeek)... I heard the UPS truck come into the neighborhood and went to the window to see if it was on this truck... the driver pulls up two houses down from mine, delivers two pretty large and heavy looking boxes, and drives away... I thought to myself "what a coincidence... but, oh well, wasn't on this truck"... half an hour later, a neighbor knocks at my door, he's pulling a luggage cart with two huge boxes... my chiller and my lights, that somehow the UPS driver managed to deliver to the wrong house! He says his daugther asked if they were getting a fish tank (because the chiller came in the original package, with fish pics on the outside) :D

Nuno

Last edited:
In-line or Drop-in?

This hot weather demands resurrecting this thread... :)

Just realizing today that my wife has not been running the air conditioner during the day - I realized that my tank almost fried....and I guess it's time for a chiller...

If you have a big sump, is there any downside to a drop-in chiller?

Anybody have experience with the Tradewind brand of U.S.-made chillers?

And forgive my ignorance, but if you go 230v vs. 115v, does that mean they require a utility hook-up like for a clothes dryer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wish I have room for a chiller but then again I'll be complaining about the noise it made.
Does a chiller run 24/7?

this is me said:
Does a chiller run 24/7?

No, it runs just enough time to lower the temperature into the acceptable range... FWIW, mine is running 3 times a day, about half an hour each time.

Nuno

FWIW, one of the "heavier duty" chillers is the Aqualogic line of chillers. They come in both drop in coil and in-line. I have had my Aqualogic 1/2 HP Inline for 4 years without incident. The only other chiller I have experience with is Teclima from Fritz Pets...DO NOT BUY THIS CHILLER!!!! I sent 4 units back, replacement after replacement until I gort fed uo and demanded a refund.

Back