Chromis attacked

mustangtjb

BRS Member
So I put 3 Chromis into my tank last night and everything seemed fine, watched them for a bit they seemed fine schooling swimming in the top part of the tank, etc, they didn't eat at feeding time but there was poop in the drip bucket so I thought they genuinely might not be hungry. I fed the clowns in hopes it would keep down aggression.

Turned the lights down early and woke this morning to a chunk missing from one of the Chromis top side in from of the dorsal fin.

Only other inhabitants in the tank are two clowns (established for about a month and a half. Skunk shrimp and a firefish that hides constantly.

He was still alive this morning but struggling. Assuming it's still alive when I get home should I:

Move to my frag tank downstairs to see if it heals?
Leave him in and see what happens ?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thx,

Sounds like one of your clowns most likely wanted to give a warm welcome to your chromis new home...

If you can catch that fish and really want to attempt at saving it then you should probably pull him out and put in the frag tank.

You can also spend some time watching what's going down and you will usually see the aggression if somebody is being crazy territorial. Some times new fish get it he worst over the first day or two.

Normally added stress isn't the best answer but since he is brand new to the tank and already roughed up its probably the better option at this time..

How's the tank going otherwise?

Guru,

Thanks for the response and the advice. I’m hoping he is alive when I get home, I will pull him to see if I can get him to heal versus fodder for the Nassarius snails.

Thanks for asking about the tank. As a noobsalter I’m having a blast. Knock on wood display tank is great, healthy, starting to see hints of coralline, until last night everyone was pretty happy coral and all. Firefish hides regularly and I’m concerned he isn’t getting enough to eat even thou I target feed frozen shrimp. Big Clown occasionally bullies the smaller Clown but not too too bad.

Upstairs I run an IM Nuvo 20. I’m all in with a small frag and QT tank downstairs (very wary about using cooper need more experience, hard to d owith expensive fish).

Just yesterday picked up a used Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 for the finished basement will setup after the finished floor is in. (Smaller Cape house so I can't go bigger at this time so two is ok with me for now) I’ve even found time to sit back and enjoy watching the DT. Happy to be back in the hobby again !! Yeah TMI I know LOL.

(As you can I’m sure attest) great group here at BRS, super helpful/generous. Waiting till my frags get bigger and will pay forward the generosity that has been shown to me.

Thx again for asking,

Diving in head first soon you will be putting an addition on the house lol...

Glad to hear its going well!

Some fish are just mean by nature. My female clown hates a blue tenius frag. Literally had to glue it so she wouldn’t pick it up and drop it on the sand

Chromis can be hard on each other too. They establish a pecking order and a lot of times low man on the totem poll does not make it.

Chromis can be hard on each other too. They establish a pecking order and a lot of times low man on the totem poll does not make it.
I agree I had purchased 4 recently which slowly went down to 1. Each day id find one dead. Thought it was a female clarkii I had who was a b*tch but pretty sure they were picking each other off like u stated

Back