Clean up Crews..are they needed??? Worth the money?

twiddledog

Non-member
I have always had the various snails, hermits etc in my reef tank and I know that they do consume some dentris, algae and stir up the sandbed. But, are they needed and do they really make that much difference? If one does the recommended water changes, doesn't overfeed too drastically do they really make a difference to your tank?
Honestly I like the look of some hermits crawling around and nasarius snails popping out of the sand but for the money spent do they really make a difference in maintaining a healthy tank?

I think they do make a difference in keeping a healthy well-maintained tank, sand bed and rock. I can tell when my tank gets low on snails/hermits...the rocks get a little fuzzier and sand isnt as white as it should be. The cuc will eat all the food that the corals/fish dont so they help with water quality too. I wouldnt run a tank with them.

I think they do make a difference in keeping a healthy well-maintained tank, sand bed and rock. I can tell when my tank gets low on snails/hermits...the rocks get a little fuzzier and sand isnt as white as it should be. The cuc will eat all the food that the corals/fish dont so they help with water quality too. I wouldnt run a tank with them.

+1 I could not agree more.

+1, they are very important. Some old saying is that if you can count your snails, you don't have enough.

A CUC is very important, if you have a big fish die and you have no CuC your ammonia could shoot through the roof and crash the tank. But with a CUC they will eat the fish before it decomposes. Same concept with uneaten food

I have very few snails and crabs.
I have had many tanks and have been reefing for like 15 years now.
I have done the 1 snail and 1 crab per gallon thing and I'll tell you that there is no way people need that many.
Right now in my 120 I have maybe 5 snails and 5 crabs mostly because the kids like to hold them.
if you keep your tank water quality right,you should not need many clean ups.
I do have a sand sifter and agree with cucumbers as well.
but the more bioload the more waste builup.

I have very few snails and crabs.
I have had many tanks and have been reefing for like 15 years now.
I have done the 1 snail and 1 crab per gallon thing and I'll tell you that there is no way people need that many.
Right now in my 120 I have maybe 5 snails and 5 crabs mostly because the kids like to hold them.
if you keep your tank water quality right,you should not need many clean ups.
I do have a sand sifter and agree with cucumbers as well.
but the more bioload the more waste builup.

1+ I run a bare bottom, and low nutrient system. Not only is it extra money, but they are also a hassle when knocking over everything, and I have no use for them.

plan out your fish accordingly.
certain tangs and angels are great for cleaning glass and sand,others for rocks.
I have a kole tang that does wonders for the glass and sand.
a sand sifting star and 2 Nassarius snails for the sand,few hermits and a coral beauty for rocks,and a emerald crab in case of bubble algae,cleaner shrimp for parasites.
try to plan out your bioload so it helps you maintain your tank.
most invading algeas and parasites have a fish or invert that can take care of it.
especially algea.
really adding more crabs or snails than is actually needed is going to end up as a tank full of empty shells.
trust me on that.
more life,more feeding,more waste.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but regarding the CUC, is it worth putting them in a QT for a little bit?

they are needed but should not be expected to overcome problems caused by poor water quality
they can also cary in parisites like red bugs,nudis and even aptaisa on their shells

+1, they are very important. Some old saying is that if you can count your snails, you don't have enough.
Hahaha. I can certainly count the 20snails in a 5 gallon and I'm not sure if I can find and count all the 5 snails in a 300gallon. ;)

I generally like snails especially the trochus variety and the fight conch. Shrimps and crabs, however, are more risky. Peppermints do eat aptaisia but shrimps like to eat dead stuff. If you have a coral or clam that's ill and on a road to recovery, shrimps attack the dead flesh and tend to injure the specimen before it can recover. Crabs also do this as well. Emerald crabs are known to eat acropora when they don't have enough to eat. To me, crabs and shrimps are more trouble than they're worth.

I love my emerald crabs, and have never seen them eating my across, but maybe they are doing it while I am not looking. I have noticed a green algae I am getting and not to sure why, until I have noticed lately my very fat Mystery Wrasse has eaten all my CUC, so I will be heading out this week to get them. If you watch them just picking and eating everything I dont know how you think they could be beneficial? If corals are placed securely you shouldnt have an issue with movement. I have had issues with them on the sand bed moving things. One of my favorites are my tiger tails, except they move all the sand.

For all my years of reefing, I always assumed that a clean up crew was necessary. That's what they tell you when you're starting out, kind of like how you "need" a canister filter.

I've come to learn that the entire concept of a clean up crew is largely useless and a waste of money.

The only clean up crew an aquarist needs is an established aquarium. The vast majority of the snails and hermit crabs you buy will starve to death over the course of about 18 months.

I probably have about half a dozen snails left in a rather heavily stocked 120gal system. Oh, and I have a brittle star. Microfauna take care of the rest of the cleanup, like mini brittle stars, mini asteroid starfish, amphioxus, Copepoda, and bristle worms.

I have no algae or detritus problems -- my glass and sand bed are clean.

Have patience and let your system become established. Don't waste your money on clean up crews.

Matt:cool:

IDK what to say other than clean up crews are a necessity IMO.
Even in my pico, there may not be any snails or hermits, just a cleaner shrimp, but there are a CRAAAZY AMOUNT of white starfish and bristleworms and pods. Any food left on rocks or sand is gone within far less than a minute.
Especially now that I have a yasha goby and 2 pistols in there. Still kinda a CUC.

In my 40g breeder I had an algae problem and I strong believe that I huge factor in the algae not coming back is that after I dominated over it that I purchased a dozen hermit crabs. A few died off, but I still have atleast 6 or 7 and algae is non-existant.
I still grow some on my glass though so my next step is a dozen snails. I have nassarius already.

OH! That's another thing, i'd never go without nassarius snails. If a fish dies, they'll eat it completely and make a huge reduction in the possibility of decay increasing ammonia to dangerous levels from my experience.

In my opinion it may not be necessary to have a cuc but it certainly dosnt hurt anything.and worth the money? Cmon..the amount of money we spend on our "fishtanks".whats another few bucks.there's nothing in a good cuc over..what 10 bucks

Back