clogged drain and GFCI

reefstarter

Non-member
so I got home from work and was cleaning my powerheads suddenly I had noticed no sound coming from fish room . Usually I pop my head in there just to make sure everything is ok before getting in to anything but not today . it didn't take me long to realize something was wrong . when I popped in I saw water on the floor and confirmed the return pump wasn't going . so first thing I did was grab some towels and begin to sop up the water which had emptied my ATO vessel about 15 gallons . not the end of the world since the system contains about 500 gallons that is by design . I don't want an endless supply of ato water just for that reason . So after soaking up some water and drying off the plugs which tripped the GFCI I started to look what had caused the overflow . the two 210s were fine and the powerheads in them were running . so not too worried about them and all corals and fish seem fine . so what caused it I asked . I have a remote fuge with one drain drilled in bottom of a 50 breeder that had gotten clogged by some red dragon Macro that had broken loose . I usually have a strainer on that drain but just last night I took it off to allow some more water through it and added a filter sock to the drain because the water surface was getting kind of nasty . this is a new thing for this tank to get that way . all in all I am glad the GFCI tripped shutting off the return pump . if it hadn't the full contents of the sump would be on the floor and probably burnt out the pump . I may just put an over the back overflow on that tank and keep the other drain clear as an emergency drain to avoid this from happening again . another day in reefing brought to you by Murphy .

I fitted my return chamber with a low level switch that turns off my return pump just in case of issues like you describe... ... I think Mr. Murphy doesn't like anyone..elsewise he wouldn't punish us so..

glad the "damage was minimal..

Back