Clown Fish Question

GQadam

Reef Rookie, 72g bow.
Hey gang. I just wanted to post to see if I could get some good feedback on what I could get for my clownfish to play in. I know they like anemones but I have heard some real bad stories about anemones being bullies in a reef tank. I hear they will sting other coral and move anywhere they please. I was wondering if I could use something a little more peaceful for a place for them to play. Maybe like a torch or frogspawn or something? Anyone who has any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

~Adam

It's hit or miss, but clowns have been known to host in all sorts of things. I had some that liked a toadstool leather, though that's not particularly common.

I've had clowns host in frogspawn, an open brain coral, and an old tennis shoe.

ok, not the shoe. ;)

I think clownfish/anemone pairs are just about the coolest thing in this hobby. I'm very willing to tolerate some stung corals to be able to have that in my tank. But that's just me.

(And it's just plain pathetic to see a clown's frogspawn retract at night leaving him out in the cold trying to sleep on frogspawn stubs. :))

Is it common that tank raised clowns have a more difficult time to recognize and to host themselves in the anemone.

^^ That's an interesting point. I wonder if it's instinctual or learned from example. My clark (idk if he is or if they can be tank raised) hosts my toadstool. Once I took out the BTA he came with, he moved onto my mushrooms then my toadstool. I need to snap a pic. He does stay away from my Condylactis though. I'm pretty sure they don't like them.

IMO it's more hobby urban legand than anything else. Clowns have an instinct to host, doesn't matter if they have seen one before or not.

I had one set that hosted in an RBTA, and another that hosted in my giant toadstool.

unfortuantely, a tank crash rid me of both pairs, the anemone, and the toad. :(

both pairs laid eggs under what they hosted in.

I agree with what Scott said about it sucking when a clown tries to host something that closes up at night. Best bet if it's not an anemone would be something that doesn't close at night, or atleast doesn't close much.

http://www.garf.org/39/fish/pict.html

Definitely an article worth reading IMHO. Will help you out a lot.

And I agree with them. I have noticed how clowns LOVE toadstool leathers and vica versa.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back