Clown spawning pics

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
Preparing the site. Nice realestate. First they bite the anemone until it retracts, then they clean every bit of algae and debris off of the rock

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20291&stc=1&d=1162775365

Attachments

• DSC03879.JPG
    DSC03879.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC03938.JPG
    DSC03938.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC03939.JPG
    DSC03939.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 265
laying the eggs. I should put a fig leaf on the second pic :p
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03970.JPG
    DSC03970.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC03985.JPG
    DSC03985.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC03993.JPG
    DSC03993.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 266
Final clutch of eggs

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03995.JPG
    DSC03995.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC04002.JPG
    DSC04002.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 256
Incredible!!
Are you rasing them this time?
No, but I posted the pic as part of an effort to convince someone else to :) I will be getting set up to do it soon though. It is just a matter of overcomming that first time of culturing phyto and rots and setting up everything I need.

Wow, great shots Cindy! It looks as if you were swimming right next to them to get those shots.
It is an amazing sight to see clowns laying down the eggs and the male coming along behind and fertilizing.
Those look like decent clutches of eggs too, probably at least 200 or so. I seem to recall that that is pretty good for skunks.
Congrats on the happy clowns!

Jamison

Super cool vid Cindy,

My new clowns, 1-month have happily harbored in my Lg BTA
this week they are cave digging. BTA under rock on gravel.
Dug a cave from under BTA to outside other side of rock.
Are they preparing, or just normal behavior ??
Should I keep my 2 10g's before giving away??
Thanks

Super cool vid Cindy,

My new clowns, 1-month have happily harbored in my Lg BTA
this week they are cave digging. BTA under rock on gravel.
Dug a cave from under BTA to outside other side of rock.
Are they preparing, or just normal behavior ??
Should I keep my 2 10g's before giving away??
Thanks
Could be spawning nest preperation. Are they different sizes?

1- 1-1/2" other 1" Larger (Female?)hogs the BTA, smaller shake in submission.
both sharing BTA this past week or so.

Why is it hard to grow the eggs out I don't get it :confused: is it because other things in the tank will eat them.Aren't the parents going to take care of them.Can you tell that i'm a newbie:D .

In the wild the babies hatch and swim up to the plankton at the surface and eat microscopic food until they are old enough to venture back to the reef and try to find an anemone that needs another clown. Out of each batch of hundreds of eggs maybe one or two will survive, probably fewer.

In our tanks there is not enough live food to give them a chance and skimmers, pumps and predators quickly kill them all.

Thanks for the class cindy.So there isn't any chance of having them grow in a tank.Couldn't you just setup a small tank so when it does happen you could just remove the parents and eggs and feed them with no skimmer just water changes.I would think that if I was in that postion I would try to hatch them, other wise why would one want to pair them:confused: .

Back