Clowns and BTA

bpath311

Non-member
I recently bought a BTA for my 2 percula clowns. For the first 2 days they did not want anything to do with it. On the 3rd day I woke up to them hanging out in the BTA! Now it has been about 6 days since I bought it and the clowns have not left the anenome. They rarely eat, only if the food comes within 3 inches of the anenome then they swim right back into it. They sleep in it, eat in it, play in it! Is this normal? This is my first attempt at keeping an anenome and just need some expert advice.
:confused:

That's pretty normal. Are you feeding your BTA? If not you should be. You also want to pinpoint feed the BTA and Clowns. You can do this with a turkey baster and a solution of water and brine shrimp. I also feed my BTA silverbacks and clams and scallop periodicly.

It is hit or miss with percs in a BTA it is not a natural host for them in the wild so they sometimes pay no attention to it. So count yourself as one of the lucky ones in that regard. Otherwise it sounds like typical hosting behaviour. It should settle down a bit in a few days, but not much. Be sure you are able to still feed the anemone. Some clowns will bring food to it, but some will not or will even take food away when you feed the anemone.

How often do you feed the BTA. I have read conflicting information. Some say every 3 days others say 7 or 14 days??
It is good to know this is common behavior. I was worried the clowns wouldn't go in it at all and was pleasantly surprised when they did! Its funny, now the clowns seem almost addicted to the BTA!

bpath311 said:
How often do you feed the BTA. I have read conflicting information. Some say every 3 days others say 7 or 14 days??

It depends on fast you want your bta to grow. The more often you feed it, the faster it will grow.

Back