club anemone spreading fast!

soundforce

Non-member
Hello, new to the forum with a question that doing the normal research that i usually do cant come up with an answer for. I have identified these guys as club tipped anemone. it started out as a single one as a hitchhiker on live rock that i was very excited about. I even target fed him for a few weeks. Now I'm not so sure i should have been excited. All the research i have done tells me that they are not pest anemone's but they are multiplying unexpectedly fast. There are more in my tank than this but can only post 5 pics at a time. Seems like every week i see one or two more. They are also eating a lot of my cerith snails and now there is a snail graveyard of empty shells beneath them. Should i try and get rid of some or all of these? should i leave them be and keep adding more cuc for them to snack on? If i do decide to get rid of them how should i go about doing it? I'm very confused.:confused:

IMAG0064.jpgIMAG0063.jpgIMAG0065.jpgIMAG0062.jpgI know he seems small but thiss thing SUCKED the snail outta that shell next to him::IMAG0061.jpg Notice the empty snail shells on the gravel.

Those are manjano anemones i think. Id get rid of em or maybe just ditch the rock that they are on. They multiply like crazy

Definitely NOT majano. What type of rock did it come in on?

Looks like some of the ones ive seen, these arent my pictures i just did a google image search and these are a few that looked similar.
majano2.jpg

majano.jpg

I'd really like to keep the rock that they have colonized. It has some of the best coralline algae in my tank On it. I think I'm going to try to kill them off maybe with aiptasia x. I'll scrape the few that are on the other rocks off with a knife during my next water change. It's worth a try I guess. I'm planning a trip to lfs tomorrow anyways. I'll just grab some aiptasia x when I go. hopefully it goes well and I will be able to save the rock. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll update.... hopefully with success.

if you can take the rock out, run HOT tap water over the anemones. They will cook, solidify, and either they will fall off the rock, or they can be easilly picked off at that point.

Replace the rock, problem solved

Will running the rock under hot tap water cause die off and then an ammonia spike? Should I use a turkey baster and try to squirt only them? Maybe that will work. I can get that rock out pretty easily for whatever I need to do to it.

I think I have a few similar ones popping up here and there. I'd guess that they are bubble anemones. They are pretty harmless as long as they don't get near something you like. They apparently can sting. I kinda like the way they look and have left them alone. Mine seem to prefer shadier parts of the tank rather than below the 175 halide.

That is exactly what I did. I took the rocks that were easy to get out of my tank and scraped and torched the little buggers! My girlfriend recorded it on her phone :) Some of the coralline algae on the rock turned white though. I'm hoping that it will color back up soon. There are a few left on rocks that I couldn't remove but as long as they aren't taking over I'm happy. I plan on keeping them under control with a syringe and lemon juice or vinegar.

Back