Cold Cathode Tubes for Refugium Lighting?

Aquadan88

Aquatic Idiot
I'm trying to shed some light (sorry, lame pun) on some low cost, energy efficient ways to light up my refugium. I've used cold cathode tubes for moonlights before, and made a nice daytime light for a 2 1/2 gallon betta tank using a stripped AGA Striplight.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on cold cathode tube lights (like the ones that tech gurus put in their computers). I'm looking for light output, energy usage, etc.

Also, do you think that using cold cathode tubes would be an effective way to light my refugium.

Any input is greatly appreciated. :confused:

not sure if anyone can get a lumens measurement from this but i found on a site that they're 32,000 cd/m2, and can be upgraded to run 45,000 cd/m2 and the bulb can be equipped w/ reflective tape similar to VHO bulbs, for greater output.

i've had these on my car before and i can tell you, they're BRIGHT. however i never thought of using them in aquarium applications. good idea!

I've seen people use them for moonlights in their aquarium. I've used them for that purpose, and also for regular lighting (like I said, I build a custom 2 1/2 gal stip light).

Just to be clear, we're talking about the ones made for PC computers, that require a DC power converter.

And yes, you can change the brightness by changing the voltage on the power converter. I always kept them running around 6-9 volts, but you get max power at 12 (at least that's as high as my power converter went).

did you have the light on a tank? corals? im thnkin of making an 8 bulb fixture for my 28gal bowfront, wonder if it would be enough light to sustain softies, and maybe some other stuff...

its not too expensive, maybe after the holidays i'll be the guinea pig.

lol, They're not too expensive. And no, I had made it for my girlfriend's betta fish.

I don't want to keep corals under them. Maybe just some cheato and live rock.

I guess the question is if it is efficient to set something like that up. You can buy a Lights of America CF bulb for less than 10 bucks that will make your chaeto grow. If you want to do PAR checks on the setup, you can use a light meter to see if the output is going to do what you need.

Well, I suppose I could always set it up and use a light meter, but I didn't want to spend the money and set it up, only to find out that it won't be enough. :p

Come on! Somebody's gotta have some sort of light output info for these things.

For all intensive purposes, say I decide to use 4 12" white cold cathode tubes in a gutted striplight (or I build my own). If someone can find the light output or any information about a 12" cold cathode tube, I'd give them....well, idk what I'd give them, but I'd give them something. :D

did you get yours local?
i can find em easy online but if i can get them local for less than $10 a pair, ill get em and try em out. my bro is 2nd in line for the PAR meter so hopefully i'll be able to test them out.

from nanoreef.com said:
It works fairly well IME.

6x12" CC over a 5.5G

P4230249.jpg

Start:
P4050239.jpg

1.5 months:
P4230233.jpg

P4230239.jpg

I've had success with them. Even tho this is just a softy tank even the more light demanding corals such as the Florida ricordea have grown decently, both have split into 2. However they do seem to be dimming a little about 6 months later, and replacing them is a pain. Also as you can see some of the zoa are stretching to get the light a little bit.

so...

pros:
-cheap initially
-simple to install
-intense enough for shallow softy tanks
-decent bulb choice

cons:
-bulb replacement
-still some heat ("cold" cathode isn't a literal term they still produce heat however its far less than pc)
-Need a decent 12V power supply (Used old computer PSU)

got this from nanoreef.com, seems they work but not as long as advertised.

however if they work for 6 months, @ $7.00 a pair, thats still pretty damn cheap.

I work with cold cathode in my sign company and... it may be specialty application, but they are used like neon. Not much light and 7-12 thousand volt.
I would like to know some sites with info on the low voltage CC specs.
Not only for my business but my tanks as well as..

Now, for sign making, you must use special cathode tubes, not the one's they make for computer lighting, correct?

lol, In regards to the car comment: When I get my own car, I'm totally tricking it out with cold cathode foot glow. I'm going to hook up cold cathodes under the dash by the feet, and under the front seats so that everyone's feet glow. If I get really fancy, I can get the ones that change with sound. How sweet would that be? OMG I think I'd feel so ghetto, but so awesome at the same time. :D

Here's the small fixture I made for my girlfriend's 2 1/2 gallon betta tank. I might actually take the 2 4" bulbs out of this one, replace them with 4 12" bulbs, and just use this one. ("Sorry hunny, but you're betta needs a new light.") :D

DSCN2445.jpg

DSCN2448.jpg

DSCN2449.jpg

so whered u get those 4" cc's from?

looks identical to the kit i bought from xoxide.com just 4" instead of 12"

i plan on using an old computer power supply so everything will just plug right in.

Ebay baby! I'll probably do the same. I think that using a power converter (like in the picture) over cooks the bulbs. I've had a few of them melt on me.

Well, I'll probably order the bulbs soon. Maybe tomorrow. Should I order 2 white 2 blue, or 4 white?

Back