Complete Reef system or purchase individual items?

02f350psd

Non-member
Does anyone have any comments/thought/suggestions on a compete reef system or purchasing individual components for a new tank setup? Been out of saltwater for a few years and thinking of jumping back in. Has anyone had good luck with the complete systems or am I better off with individual components? Thanks in advance!

Personally if I were starting a new tank right now I would use only new equipment, rocks, sand ect.

If you have been out of it for a long time it may be best to get a complete system but I would prefer to get the individual components as I have specific wants in what I would get.

i would go use myself...............i did this option with my 120 tech and saved about 3000.00

just troll the FS forum and you'll find what youre looking for. For the most part youll save prolly 50% on equipment.

Thanks for the opinions so far! When I said a complete system, I meant something along the lines of the Red Sea Compete Reef or Nano cube type of system. Have been surfing the FS forums as well.

The all in 1 tanks are good but most require mods to improve flow and other things. Many people outgrow them. For the cost of one, you could build a bigger better setup piece by piece.
The lighting on the cube rigs is also usually best suited to softies. Halides on the pricey all in ones is a good option but then you might have heat problems.
All of this sounds like i hate the aio tanks, but if it is in a bedroom, or office, the all in one looks and less wires are better.
I am looking for 1 for that exact reason. Bedroom softie tank. 3 wires, no noise or other issues.

I like to have my options open. I've never seen an all in one system that I didn't want to change somehow.

Back