Considering Reef Breeders Photon 24 for 40 breeder

Bobbofin

Non-member
Does anybody in the club have one of these? I've had a Radion, Acan Lighting, Reef Brite and a DIY fixture all of which I was not impressed with. I see many great reviews about the color and price. I would love some opinions and maybe to be able to view one in person before I have to buy four T5 bulbs this winter. They are having a $40 off sale in mid-September and at the CTARS conference in October. The cost will only be $280.

I had one over the 40B I had in the basement for 4-5 months. Corals, nems, etc. seemed to really like it. This was the tank I was given by another BRS member; a number of the corals were doing poorly, along with the nems, before I purchased the Photon 24. After putting the new light on the system all the corals recovered and grew... and the nems went crazy! I had 6-8 splits by the time I decided it was too small and broke it down.

The built in controller is a nice touch too. Just enough configuration to do what you want to do with it.

I'd definitely buy another Photon in the future.

LOL............talk about apples & oranges.

$300 light vs $700-$1000 light

I hear nothing but good about the Photon series, and you rarely see them for sale used.........that says a lot right there.

Supposedly not they say, no disco ball effect. Not heard one complaint and no one is reselling their units so that says something. I'm going to remove the 90* optics and go with stock 120* no optics because I only have 14" deep of water. Does anyone actually have on for me to see hands on?

I have a photon 48 and a photon 24 over my 180 mixed reef. I have had them for a month now and I am extremely impressed. All of my corals have gone through a growth spurt. Even my slow growing sps have flourished. My purple monster has grown about an inch since and had never grown under 250 watt radiums. Even sps on the bottom of the tank have colored up and grown. There is no disco effect with the 90 degree optics. I also love that you can program them to dim over a period of time. Worth every peny and you will be impressed with the construction. Very well built light. Only thing I regret is not getting them sooner. All of my corals have brightened in color and my lps all love it. I'll try to post pictures for you later today. If you ever make it down my way you are welcome to stop by just pm me. :)

Last edited:
I used a Photon 48 for over a year and loved it, had great coral growth, great controls you are able to have it change every 30min or every hr.

+1 on the Photon Series lighting systems. We use these on our frag systems and have been very happy with the growth and coloration. We also use these on our personal tanks as well. We recommend to all of our customers who are looking to get into LED the Photon Series as for the price tag they are a very good value IMO.

You are more than welcome to come and take a look at them on our systems to see how you like them. Just let us know.

How's about a pic or video posted of them?

That would be great, but a lot to ask.

I have a photon 48 and a photon 24 over my 180 mixed reef. I have had them for a month now and I am extremely impressed. All of my corals have gone through a growth spurt. Even my slow growing sps have flourished. My purple monster has grown about an inch since and had never grown under 250 watt radiums. Even sps on the bottom of the tank have colored up and grown. There is no disco effect with the 90 degree optics. I also love that you can program them to dim over a period of time. Worth every peny and you will be impressed with the construction. Very well built light. Only thing I regret is not getting them sooner. All of my corals have brightened in color and my lps all love it. I'll try to post pictures for you later today. If you ever make it down my way you are welcome to stop by just pm me. :)

My bad it took me so long... Just had my first son 2 weeks ago and been very busy :). Here it is. Bad phone quality but gives you and idea. Video

The Photons are the best LED I have used so far...especially for the money. We have Bdaley's old unit in the shop and love it so far....colors seem true...not false or bleached (like many other LEDs) we have Chalice, Duncan's, Zoas, and Acans under it and after 1 month all is good(yes, I am putting it to the true test, lol) My real verdict will have to wait for another years or so, as anything less would not really be a test
I will say that the Jason Fox, My Miami frags have all grown a new eye in the month they have been under this light ...and the remote control is nothing but fun...unless you are a Fish in that tank...lol

then get ready for ...... Driving lessons , college , rescues from breakdowns in remote states , boyfriends/girlfriends , but get though the diapers , walking, climbing , pooping and the "whats that ? " stages lol good luck its a trip

Check out the BRA Evergrow 2060. http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com...2060-24-LED-Custom-Tuned-by-BRA-515p11451.htm
It is the same light with slightly different LED layouts.

I personally was thinking about using two of the Evergrow Nova A8's over two Reef Breeders Photon 24's. The main reason being the Nova has 96 LEDs and the Photon has 51 LEDs.

What are others opinions on this?

PS- Sorry to hijack your thread. Just thinking that the A8's may be a better light for a few more dollars.

Back