Curing rock with the help of a hang on filter

customclimates

Non-member
I have some Marco Rock cooking in a Rubbermaid container with a back pack skimmer. My question is can I cure this with just a regular hang on Whisper filter or do I need the skimmer too. Basically I am looking to avoid the funky smell with the curing process & I am hoping the carbon in the hang on eliminates that.

I just started curing about 10 days ago. I did 75% water changes for the first 3 days and after that the water didnt smell. Im not running a skimmer or carbon. so far so good.

I'm not using a skimmer to cure my macro rock and it's almost done cycling... I haven't even done a water change because I never have time to :eek: If it's not totally cycled by this weekend I'm gonna do a water change.

Just a powerhead or HOB filter will do. I don't think you need water change since you want the bacterias in there to cycle.

its your decision on how you cure your rock but when I do water changes I use established tank water that way both my rock and tank gets alittle help. Really easy-i have my 30 lbs of rock in a rubbermaid container with a rio and a heater. It holds about 8g water when the rock is in. I mix up 5g new water and drain out 5g tank water. do the change over and then drain out 5g from the rock bin. finally just add the established tank water to the rocks. Im only exporting Ammonia and Nitrates not the colonies of beneficial bacteria from what I can tell. I wouldnt suggest draining the container everytime for waterchanges either but as long as its tempered I dont think it would kill the rock off. Just my opinion.

Back