Current Leaking into Tank

synchiropi

Low energy alien reefer
So, I just went into my sump to change the temp settings of my heaters and yup, I got an electric blast. ]
Apart of my rather rustic technique of getting shocked to sense current in the water, is there a better way to test for this? What would happen if I put a voltimeter in the water (maybe nothing ugh...)?

Stealth heaters, I had heard that these tend to leak current here and then... :mad: :mad: :mad: I am getting two Ebos ASAP!!!

I can't see why you won't be able to notice a charge with a meter. Just make sure you use one probe in the water and the other a ground.
Also, you might want to check your pumps. I've typically found them to be the source.

heaters have been the cause I have noticed...but dont forget that if you have a cut on you skin sometimes when it first hits the water it can feel like a shock...

my bet is on the heater though

Yes i have found the best way to test for stray voltage is to cut your hand an put it in the tank :D
MarkO description will work,set your meter to a low scale millivolts(hopefully :eek: )
I would also recommend one of those rid volt probes.

I ahve a Tunze stray voltage tester basically you plug it in and put one section in the water a shrill alarm will sound if there is voltage in the water then it is a process of elimination by unplugging things one at a time till the shrill stops pretty easy if you are going to the meet you are more than welcome to borrrow it just hold onto it till I get back in August or keep track of where it goes from you :)

Sky,

That would be much much appreciated. I am going to the meeting. I gotta say that I check my tank today in the morning and everything just looks so happy. THE FISHES. wow. Just so active!!

Maybe its just their morning thing, but as a kid I had a freshwater tank with current leaking into it. The worse thing is that things just tend to sort of fade out. What a horrible stress. Then saltwater is a so much better conductor. Anywho, i'll try to get the ebos today.

Etszoo, why would I cook the sump with an ebo? Is there a better brand I should consider?

Scary stuff in home aquaria. However, have any of you heard about the studies/programs whereby the scientists intentionally create a low level of electricity on a reef, whether captive or wild, and have found that coral growth is positively affected by stray current? I'm going to see if I can find it. Interesting stuff..in a controlled manner. Scary as hell in our glass boxes if you ask me.

Dave

Do you have a GFCI plug and a grounding probe? If not, get one! You could be dead! 120v, saltwater, and humans don't mix! And yes, even a cheap multimeter should easily show any voltage that is high enough to shock you (you can get them at radioshack). Put the meter to AC volts (start at a higher scale and work down), stick one end to the outlet ground, and the other in the tank. When I do this in my tank I read about .2 volts.

So I do have a GFI but no grounding probe.

Now today I checked the current, with one probe in the carpet:

Heaters off. 0.002 volts

Heaters on 0.600 volts and the value increases over time, I just decided to stop here.

So my verdict is that indeed, one of my heaters is leaking.

Darn. Likely the explanation for my non-pulsing Xenia, my LPSs looking unhappy and my SPSs fading away. The fishes looking scared, argghhhh!!!

Even today, just after one day w/o the killer heater everything just looks so happy!!!

I would have loved a pic of a clown fish with his hair standing on end like Moe from the Stooges!

Etszoo,
I've been using Ebo's for years and have never had a problem. My parents have been using them for years as well without any problems. They're good heaters, probably the best in my opinion. I think any heater could fail at some point in time, so the safest bet is to run a temp controller. But, then again, there's always the possibility of the temp controller failing... There will always be a risk.

Steve

Alright, Ebo or Pro Heat heaters will be.

I had not heard before about connecting a grounding probe to a tank. But I will definetely look into this. This is one of those safety things that I am not sure many people know about before setting up a reef tank.

I'm having the same problem over the last couple of years now and still can't figure it the source. I thought it was my PC lighting or my pump so I bought a new ones. Also bought a ground probe. Nothing seem to work. I think it's my surge protector so I switched it and it still won't go away. The only time it would go away is when shut everything down. So frustrating. :(

Back