Custom Overflow and drilling advice needed

ceige

always wet hands.....
OK, so I am going to set up my 125 NON RR AGA this spring and I want to get input before it gets drilled. I am planning on building a custom center overflow chamber to hide everything I can. I am thinking that the overflow chamber will be 20.5? tall and 12? wide. I am not sure how deep to make it but I am thinking it will need to be 6? deep so I can get my hand down into it. The tank will be drilled behind this overflow for (2) 1? drains {purple}, (1) 1? feed for a closed loop {green} and (2) .75 returns for the closed loop {light purple}. The tank will also have (2) 1? returns drilled in each corner for the sump returns {not shown}.

Here is a very crude sketch of what I am thinking. Am I way off base on this? Will this be too many holes in on part of the tank? I want to use loc line for the CL returns and have one come out of each side of the overflow to hide things even more {red}. Is 6? to much depth for this chamber? MTIA

Attachments

• overflow.JPG
    overflow.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 514
How about drilling a bunch of small holes in the back near the top rim, and creating an external overflow box, rather than using up in-tank real estate?

in my 180 i grilled 3 1"1/2 holes and monted my box on the out side of the tank and hid my heaters in there so i don't lose any room in my tank
( I have a peninsula stile set up)

You might check out Anthony Calfo's "horizontal overflow" over at the Marine Depot forums, or older RC archives. I think this is what Nate might be referring to by drilling a bunch of holes near the top along the back side. Not speaking for Nate by any means, but I've been intrigued by Anthony's horizontal overflow thoughts.

Chip

hmm would something like that be built out of glass? How would it be attached to the tank? I like that idea alot, I would only see bulkheads in the tank. johnny do you have a pic of your setup?

i cant up load them from my camra sorry I dont like computers and they dont like me
but yes i made it out of glass with silacone i also put 2 tryangles under neath it for support

Yeah, I'd make it out of glass definitely, and bond it with silicone. Should be plenty strong since that's what the rest of the tank is made with. I haven't seen Calfo's ideas, but there are a couple people in BRS who have made tanks that way, with external overflow compartments on the back of the tank.

Here is one of Anthony Calfo's overflows, I got the pic from his gallery on RC...it is internal but this would just hang on the outside right?

Johnny what are the dimensions of yours?

Attachments

• 6832internal_overflow_box_AQCal.jpg
    6832internal_overflow_box_AQCal.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,057
mine is 17w x 8dx 12t and its on one of the sides not on the back my tank is set up as a peninsula viewable on 3 sides in between kitchen and liveing room

Johnny
I'm interested in your setup. I am in the process of setting up my 150 and it is also going to be a peninsula. Anyway you can get me a picture or a drawing? What size IN's and OUT's and how many. I could make one out of plexi, easier to work with.How noisey is it?

I think the only challenge on an AGA tank might be getting the drain holes high enough on the tank that the water level is maintained where you want it. With a eurobraced tank, or an acrylic tank you can put holes or slits closer to the top without the rim getting in the way.

Here is one of Anthony Calfo's overflows, I got the pic from his gallery on RC...it is internal but this would just hang on the outside right?

The peeing figurine is a nice touch...

Steve

Jordan, plexi is easier to work with but it won't bond to glass as well. Good enough for inside the tank, but not strong enough to attach outside the tank.

plexi glass dose not bond to glass to well
I have 3 11/2" drains with costom stand pipes
so there is no more noise than normal plus its in the wall

It sounds interesting What do you use for returns? size and how many. You don't have to bond the plexi to the glass. I would make a box a brace it from the bottom. I'm more concerned about the water height issue that nate brought up.

Ever since I saw this style of overflow, I've liked the idea. It probably only works well with built-in tanks where you can stuff the overflow into a wall or a cabinet or something.
SF15.jpg

I imagine even if it was a stand alone tank, one could make a more shallow box along the back of the tank and set the aquarium a few more inches off that wall than normal. The channel cut out from the top of the side glass looks pretty straight forward but depending on the tank construction it might not work if you have to axe through the bracing. This one is glass perimeter braced.

ceige said:

RichConley said:
That drives me nuts. People have been doing that for years. I hate when things get attributed to Calfo, et al when it has nothing to do with them.

Excpet the built the one in that photo..

RichConley said:
That drives me nuts. People have been doing that for years. I hate when things get attributed to Calfo, et al when it has nothing to do with them.

Yeah I know but it is his and wanted to give the photo's owner the proper acknowledgement. I am still searching for the best fit for me.

Back