Dc return pump failed...im out

cilyjr

Chris
Seriously the $400 ones fail. The $150 dollar cheapo ones fail. I'm out...going to buy a good old mag 18. You could drop it off a building and it would still work...

Last edited:
I would like to comment on my brand and how long its been pumping (even picked it up used) but don't want to jinx myself!!!

All yellow with a black cap........frying "p*n" followed by, out of this "w*rld"..........hehehehe

I'm almost with you, i switched over to DC ( Varios) pumps to try and cut power consumption.. the mag 18 and mag 9.5 i was running previously was almost 250 watts combined 24-7. I'm well under a 100 watts combined now and haven't had any issues except that the pump Absolutely will not restart if there is even the tiniest bit of back flow against the pump. If the pump stops for whatever reason either by way of Apex or by power outage the pump just goes into fail safe mode and needs to be valved off and re-started then opened back up slowly to the system, very annoying. Never had that problem with power sucking dumb dumb mags that's for sure!!

I have a RLSS skimmer DC pump and RO DC circulation pump. Both were first generation. Both replaced under warranty.

Both second gen replacement pumps seem to be holding up fine after 2 yrs or more. I do have 2 dead mag 12s, so it is possible ;)

I would like to comment on my brand and how long its been pumping (even picked it up used) but don't want to jinx myself!!!

All yellow with a black cap........frying "p*n" followed by, out of this "w*rld"..........hehehehe

They don't make an internal and I don't want to drill another hole

It's coming tomorrow john and I have an emergency pump anyway...thanks though I appreciate the offer

$400 internal return pump? Hmmm, was it starts with E and "cough " and ends with Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did they failed? Dead motor blocks?

Well the waterblaster impeller magnet swelled. The jebao just stops then you need to kind of spin the impeller to get it going. The v1 do weird s&>t with the controller.

let's look at it like this, with a good old heat producing energy eating mag pump (they've making the exact pump for 20 years btw) you have the pump and plug. With a DC pump you have an AC adapter which can break a controller which can break in the pump which can break any of the same ways that an old AC pump could. I will grant you that a DC pump is cool that it can be dialed back with the push of a button. And costs about half as much money to run. But especially when it comes to my return pump reliability is the number one concern.
My last mag pump ran for 10 straight years and was still running except it started to leak stray voltage when the power cord that was in the water became brittle.

Last edited:
Idk both my vectra m1 and l1 are holding up just fine little over a year but time will tell

The problem I have with my DC return pump it that SOMETIMES if their is a quick power interruption it will not restart and the Apex thinks its still running because power is being supplied to it's outlet thus the return pump program safety measures are useless.

Jim

Dump LED to go MH.
Dump DC pump to go Mag
Up next, Chris returns to an under gravel filter.

Ok just busting nutz. Hope the good old pump serves well bud.

Lol right. Maybe modded maxi jets as powerheads or a closed loop. Or a fluidized bed chamber. ...lol not going there. But I will tell you it was old down draft skimmers. Produced.

Back