Definivitely found AEFW

cilyjr

Chris
Damn it. I have been having acro troubles since I began rebuilding after a crash. Well today I found 6 of them on 1 coral. I was dipping them because of red bugs anyway.

I suppose I will form a plan of action over the weekend. I guess this means I will need to pull all the acros for several months. I will need to do some research. Well I guess it gives me something to do..

That's a bummer! I know there are people out there that say you can manage the AEFW instead of trying to get rid of them.

That's a bummer! I know there are people out there that say you can manage the AEFW instead of trying to get rid of them.
Maybe but as my largest acro is only about 6 inches I will get rid of them before it is a bigger pain.

Ok I have the DT acro free. Not an easy task. Although I had been rebuilding from a crash a while back and most of my acros are small many had encrusted onto rock and the stuff left on the rock had to be removed.

Bright side...it gave me a chance to make some changes in the rock and get some nuisance algae out as well.

All acros are now in a different tank and will be dipped every 2 weeks or so until I am sure there are no more parasites.
The tank will be acro free for a while. I am not sure how long exactly I still need to look into it.
And all thus while the apex is going nuts....fun week in reefing for me!

Sorry to hear. Eggs are your biggest concern now, did you see any? They will lay the eggs on dead matter and not the coral itself (usually) so one good way to help yourself is if you can cut the coral off of any rock/plug and remount fresh. I fresh mount all incoming corals no matter what. Dealing with the worms themselves are easy with Bayer, the eggs are the killer and the time committment! I would dip every week also with visual inspection for eggs.

Good luck!

I would cut all the exposed skeleton and throw it away and save the remaining and dip that part. It's a process but it's not all that bad.

Thanks for the responses. I don't really have very much exposed skeleton to cut away there were a few tips that I did cut. And there a couple places in the valley between branches they would be hard to cut out. There was another that had a bit of STN and I did the super glue thing to stop it.

After 2 dips a bonsai that had begun to look dull is looking much better. So I will take that as a good sign.

Back