Deresa and Squamosa Clam with PC lighting?

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Could I successfully keep either a deresa or squamosa clam with my PC's? (2x96) I know they are some of the lower level light clams and that they would do fine under T5 lighting which will hopefully be happening sooner rather than later depending on how much it cost to fix up my jeep.

The system has been up for over 4 years with zero's across the board and I get good growth in all my corals (GSP, tree coral, hammer, xmas favia, BTA)

I'm placing an order Mon or Tues for fish and the site has a good price for a deresa clam and I could save on the shipping. Thanks for the advice.

Personally i would wait until you have the t5's. They may be lower light clams, but that doesn't mean they don't like light =).

^^^

+1

I've thought about trying this in the past.But I don't want a clam that's simply surviving(if even possible).I want one that is thriving.
So I wouldn't attempt one unless I had lots of T5 or better yet just go with halides.

I agree with those above but if you end up getting them place them at the very top of the tank directly under a light.

Maybe if you have them about half inch from the surface and the light right on top of the water. But I'm with the rest...either get T5 or MH.

^^^
+3

I have kept derasa'a under pc's and it was quite happy and grew pretty quick. This was in a 75 gallon so it was about the same height, but I had 440W of light. There were 8 55W bulbs, 4 on each side. I don't think I would try it with the 2 96 watt bulbs unless you have them both on one side of the tank.

Dave I would totally wait until you have your T5's and then keep them up high. Clams might (might) do ok under T5.

I'm in the minority here.

Deresa... go for it! I kept a crocea under 13w PC (2 gallon tank) for 2 months while my 10 gallon cycled. Then it went in the 10 gallon for alittle over a year under 96W PC & grew from 2.5-3 inches to 5.5 inches (in the sandbed). Eventually upgraded tanks and light to MH. Clam is still with me 4ish years now & it was one of the highest light loving clams.

Thanks for all the info... I decided to hold off ordering them... I found out that I have tomorrow off so I placed my order for fish and held off on the clams to be safe (I didn't have access to a computer at work to check the forums) I'll just have to wait... Seems like that is a vital quality to posses in this hobby!

Back