Diatomaceous Earth Filters

newenglandreef

Non-member
Has anyone used these in reef tanks? I've read that they may be effective in killing free-floating dinos, just curious the affect, if any, on a reef tank...

Thanks as always...

I have used diatom filters throughout all my years of keeping aquariums. A very useful and underused tool IMHO. They are best when charged with powdered carbon. Nothing can clean or detox the water in your tank faster or better. A diatom filter saved my livestock when a heater burst and toxic chemicals flooded my tank. It also saved my fish when I used chemi-clean and the die off of large amounts of cyano poisoned the water. I use it whenever I clean or do maintenance. I really wouldn't be without one.

+1 but I only use my diatom every few years when I get in there and stir things up or re-do rock work. It can save you thousands if something spill into tank also!

I recently just replaced mine. I think the last one was ten years old. You can get one at That Fish Place. Google it and search for the best price though. Not many places have them, but the price varies a lot. Also, make sure you get the Vortex Super Char along with it. That's the powdered carbon I was talking about. That is what makes it so very effective.

Last edited:
I run mine for 24hrs at a time, sometimes longer. It depends on your systems water volume and what you are trying to do. I have a large system, so it takes a while to pass the whole water volume thru the filter. If you have a thirty gallon tank, just a few hours will do.
There are some drawbacks. The design of this filter has not changed in over 40 years. The motor even has to be oiled every few months. It is cumbersome to charge and clean.
Despite this, I have used it in many different ways. It's great for draining and refilling your sump or other tanks. It is fantastic at mixing new salt water and does it in minutes, with no cloudiness or undisolved salt left over. I have dosed lanthanum into it to reduce phosphates in the water, much like public aquariums do. So even though it can be a PITA charging and cleaning, I use it a lot.
Oh, and I don't backflush it like it says in the link. I take it apart and wash it out in the sink. I then add the powders directly to the jar and then put it back together. Much easier.

Last edited:
I recently just replaced mine. I think the last one was ten years old. You can get one at That Fish Place. Google it and search for the best price though. Not many places have them, but the price varies a lot. Also, make sure you get the Vortex Super Char along with it. That's the powdered carbon I was talking about. That is what makes it so very effective.

Okay that's great, I'll do that, thanks.

Back