diy led help

oceanprncss

Non-member
having an issue with my DIY light thought I purchased from daewon, I know he moved last year and I cant get ahold of him. so my issue is the day lights don't fully turn on anymore. ive tried cleaning the light and wires. nothing seems to be loose. tried a different outlet. I get a small glow out of the lights but they do not fully turn on..

this was a DIY project that someone else did. I cant find any info of brands on the led light itself. they are dimmable and really great lights. just looking for someone who is local to Londonderry nh who knows something and can take a look or people that can explain what issue maybe. im not that great with lighting..]
thanks for any help

joe and sara

ok to PM us as well

If the light turns on at all than there's a current and not a connectivity issue. That means either the lights are dimmed almost completely from the dimming "mechanism" or the contact at some point in the string is so bad it only allows a very limited current.

If you could detail the build I can help. What kind of drivers, what kind of dimming, what kind of Power supply, etc.

I will take some pictures and post. There no brand on the lights. Day lights have a low glow to them. I can dim the my blue lights but the whites just have low glow. I thought cause one had salt creep on it. So I trying wiping it bit still nothing. Corals are still OK with just the blues (softy tanks)

Get the brand of the drivers - there's a label on them. Also, let us know how do you dim them: controller, knob, etc.

I will take some pictures and post. There no brand on the lights. Day lights have a low glow to them. I can dim the my blue lights but the whites just have low glow. I thought cause one had salt creep on it. So I trying wiping it bit still nothing. Corals are still OK with just the blues (softy tanks)

The low glow means they are connected properly, but the ballast is getting no signal to apply voltage. My money would be on the connection from your 10v power supply to the ballast that controls the white.

Come to find out with he help of another reefer here. I have few bad bulbs that need be replace. I'm searching cred LEDs and not sure what white lights to get and I have no clue aboit them either

Anyone's thoughts

Come to find out with he help of another reefer here. I have few bad bulbs that need be replace. I'm searching cred LEDs and not sure what white lights to get and I have no clue aboit them either

Anyone's thoughts what I should choose for option

May be just easier to buy an eBay fixture. LED light that old may not worth fixing

I was told to replace all the bulbs. I think I'll do just white tight now. And leave the blue and red. I'd like go back to t5 when able find an used ficture

I'm in Londonderry nh I will yKe few pics. My ballests ate good and drivers just crappy light bulbs I guess. Few of them r burnt put not all

I'm in Londonderry nh I will yKe few pics. My ballests ate good and drivers just crappy light bulbs I guess. Few of them r burnt put not all

I imagine the LEDs did not burn out because of the length of time they were used but because you had a short or a surge of some kind. That brings into question the wiring and the ballasts - there's no way to burn a correctly connected LED with a constant current ballast unless they are not cooled properly.

There is no fan. So cooling is definitely issue as well. There 54 lights wired to a heat sink. Tank is only 40gallons. Smallest I've had and only led lights as well. I've always been t5 guy but got good deal on system. I'm working till 3am but tomorrow I'll take pics of lights and wiring. I only have softies and fish so tanks doing OK with just blue lights right now

Back