shop lite
flourex 65k "daylight" spiral bulb

remove all the filter media and lid, you wont need this

Attachments

• diy refugium 1.jpg
    diy refugium 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
I filled one section with base rock rubbble, live rock is good too. the copods will grow here. the other section is for "cheto" macro algae this will be my nutrient export.

the flow is adjustable buy raising or lowering the u tube.you will feel it click. I have mine set about halfway.

Attachments

• diy refugium 2.jpg
    diy refugium 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,191
I use the shop light cliped onto the side of the tank equiped with the spiral bulb to light the refugium.. if you wanted you could fill both ends with chaeto or rock depending on your needs. one good thing is the pods that excape the fuge wont get chopped because they don't go thru the pump to exit.

this is setup on my nano tank, but im sure a pair of these would work well on a larger setup.

Attachments

• diy refugium 3.jpg
    diy refugium 3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 705
That is a great setup, I will have to keep this in mind when I set up my nano at work

I use Aquaclear 500, the space for marco algea is much bigger.

dz6t said:
I use Aquaclear 500, the space for marco algea is much bigger.

true, but I would have had to order that, petco costs too much and wallmart dosen't cary those. these have a decent size though, I was able to transfer almost all my chaeto plus add a little more rocks

if you print off the petsmart page on any item, and they have it in stock in store you they will match the online price.

penguinsix said:
if you print off the petsmart page on any item, and they have it in stock in store you they will match the online price.

Plus you have to add shipping...right

I got my AquaClear 500 at Petsmart in Nashua, no shipping and no tax, They mathced online price.

salt is real cheap online through a lot of these places, and they match also...i get oceanic for a song locally at my petsmart this way <shhh>

Definelty a cool setup, after seeing your nano I took out my biomedia in my nano and replaced it with some of the cheato you gave me, it'll definetly help the water quality!

Back