Do you plug everything into GFCIs?

Dtilton

Non-member
Hi all-

Planning out new wiring and plugs and outlets and want to plug everything within spittin' distance of the tank into a GFCI. I've read some folks don't plug heaters or pumps in or anything to do with life support for our finned friends. They say the GFCI can trip/malfunction and kill the tank. I'm the opinion if I don't plug stuff into GFCIs, then it could kill ME!! What are you folks doing?

I plug everything into a GFCI. What I do, is put "like" items on different circuits. For example, if I have two heaters, they get plugged into different GFCI's so that if one trips "just because" then I still have one heater.

FWIW... I've found the GFCI's on the extension cords are prone to tripping on their own. The wall outlets, I haven't had any problem with.

Last edited:
I have two dedicated 20amp circuits for my tank, both running on GFCI breakers. I like using the breakers because you know everything is protected. Never had a problem with them tripping.

I also had dedicated circuits on breakers from the box, they would often trip for no apparent reason, finally changed them both out. I have the same problem in the bathroom with hair dryers and the kitchen with the microwave.

Jim

I've have GFCIs in the kitchen,bathroom,etc and never had one trip in all the years we've had them. I test them every once in a while and they seem pretty dependable. I do like the idea of redundant items like one of the heaters and half the powerheads on a different GFCIs...that's really a good idea! Thanks!

Just an added note, I keep the powerheads on a different circuit than the return pump. This way there is always circulation in the tank if one breaker were to trip. ;)

Just try not to get too carried away like this guy did...

Attachments

• th_DSCF0948.jpg
    th_DSCF0948.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 115
I used a combo GFCI/ArcFault breaker and have never had a problem with tripping. I wonder if people who have a trip issue might have an actual leakage issue in the wall or the equipment? They could not sell millions of the things if they really were that unreliable, you would have people fighting the code requirement all over. Do remember that you can protect down stream outlets without using $500 in GFCI outlets. That picture in #8 shows a wee bit of electrical paranoia.

I tell people all the time who ask me for wiring advice to buy one GFCI then run the rest for that branch circuit off that so they're all protected too. A GFCI is about $15- maybe $30 for 3 in a contractor pack- a regular 15A or 20A outlet- 2 bucks at the most?!

Back