does anyone know anything about this wrasse?

molsen187

Non-member
i saw a beautiful nambuous(sp) wrasse at my lfs today. i came home to look him up online and i haven't been able to find anything about them. does anyone know anything about them?thanks for any help.

I don't think any of the genus Halichoeres is reef safe. Namely, it would eat your cleanup crew, quickly and repeatedly.

i think the one i'm looking at is in the liateal(sp) i know the spelling is way off i just don't know the name off the top of my head. i know it starts with an l. from what info i have been able to gather they seem reef safe w caution. they may take out ornamental shrimp but other than that they seem fine.

We have and have had several Halichoeres genus Wrasse. We have, generally speaking, had good luck with them. Each Wrasse has his/her own personality though, some may be terrors to the tankmates, some may have a taste for shrimp, some may not. That particular species gets to around 5 inches max.

If you wanted to play it safe and love your shrimp like family members, don't buy hm. If it were me, and he caught my eye, I would, but that's just me, I love my wrasses.

+1 I love a great looking wrasse too! My Melanurus ate a fire shrimp, 6 Skunk Cleaners and an unknown amount of hermits before I called it quits and removed him. He really was a beautiful fish though.

+1 I love a great looking wrasse too! My Melanurus ate a fire shrimp, 6 Skunk Cleaners and an unknown amount of hermits before I called it quits and removed him. He really was a beautiful fish though.

My large Melanaurus never ate any of the CUC. My Mystery Wrasse (quite big now) however has whacked 2 large Blood Shrimp and 4 Cleaner Shrimp. He also goes after any new snails or crabs I put in when I try to update my crew. I now add new CUC animals at night after lights out and drop them into the back of the tank. I guess it depends on the personality of the fish.

That Mystery Wrasse is a terror! Only to CUC animals though, he's a model citizen with other fish and coral.

ok well i didn't want to start a new thread so i figured i'd just ask my question in this one i started awhile ago.

i just purchased a carpenter fairy wrasse(pics later after he acclimated). do i really need to feed him 3-4 times a day? that seems like a lot but i do know some fish need more feeding than others. it seems from researching that i should of bought two of them. i have a 55g tank with two clowns, a goby, and now this wrasse. do you think one more wrasse would be pushing it in my tank? i figured on this carpenter being the last editon to the tank. i don't want its colors to fade though so i'm not opposed to getting another one the store had a ton. i have an aqua remora skimmer on the back and a hob with chateo if that helps at all. thanks again for any advice.

Back