WTB Does nudibranch work and does anyone have them in the area?

enthusiastic reefer

BRS Member
I am just curious to see if I can buy two of them for one of my tanks that has a few aiptaisa in it. I live in the area of Manchester NH.

Thanks,
Enthusiastic reefer

To answer the title of the thread yes they work like a charm. And to one up it your initial investment in them to take care of your problem is later on turned into a profit when they breed in your system (if the water quality is good, they have food, and you have at least 2). I know it’s not the end goal to turn a profit it’s mainly to get rid of the aiptasia but in the long run selling them to the local community and spreading them around keeps them breeding and local if ever needed again. For the money we spend on our tanks $15 each is nothing in my eyes that being said I don’t have any left myself best of luck on your search and battle!!

Does anyone have any available right now if you have any please let me know it sounds like they are a good addition to a reef tank
Thanks

Will fish eat nudibranch?
Are there any particular fish that would make it impossible to host them in your tank?

In my tanks I had a flame hawkfish, dottybacks, a yellow coris wrasse and peppermint shrimp and they left them alone enough to get the job done for me.

How many Bergia do you get when the breed?
They can lay over 100 eggs every few days. How many will live obviously depends on their food supply.
Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss when dealing with aptasia. I have one now (it’s all the store had) and he’s acting pretty shy right now. I’ll cut down on feeding the fish hoping it’ll cause the shrimp to eat the aptasia. I bought some elimi-aptasia too for ones that are big and easier to get to

Last edited:
So you would recommend aiptasia x for the really big ones
Absolutely, Berghia are hard to get a hold of sometimes, seems to be about good timing to get your hands on those. Berghia will smash all sizes. Aptasia x and peppermint shrimp you can more easily get so now I use both of them. Every time I see a big aptasia I get it with the aptasia x and we’ll see if this shrimp starts munching on the small heads. I’ve had tanks for over 10 years now and aptasia have always been present at one time or another. For me it’s just something that happens like water changes. Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong for ten years lol idk, I’ve accepted they’re going to show up every 6 months to a year now.

Also does anyone have any experience with peppermint shrimp?

Thank you
Enthusiastic reefer
I had good luck with peppermint shrimp in my sump. Put in 2 and within a few weeks no Aipitasia to be found (in sump).

Put a few in my DT but haven’t seen since, suspect my Flame Hawkfish or Wrasse may have made a meal out of those.

Yeah I bought some peppermint shrimp about six months ago for a different tank and watched my basslet hunt them all down one by one.

Back