Dosing 2 part

Reefer508

BRS Member
I've been dosing 2 part for years now but looking for some input on this one. I dose into 3 separate systems and one seems to be using an excessive amount. All systems have auto dosers breaking dose up to numerous times per day. Using BRS dry 2 part and mixing 3 or 4 gallons at a time, I use the same jug to fill all reservoirs.

1st system:
120 display, about 140 total system. Half full of RBTA, other half is softies, mushrooms, leather and zoa, and 5 or 6 heads of hammer. Large foxface, Powder blue tang and 2 clowns. Lots of coralline.
Daily dose into sump in front of powerhead 60ml alk and 56ml cal alk steady @ 9.3 cal @ 465 manual test every 1 or 2 days

2nd system:
110 display, 140 total. Sparsely loaded with coral, big green slimmer, plating monti, encrusting monti, 3 heads of torch, 4-5 heads of hammer, 10-15 heads of trumpet, and some softies. Large foxface, sailfin tang and filefish. Some coralline.
Daily dose into sump in high flow area 32ml alk and 31ml cal alk steady @ 9.55 cal @ 457 Trident

3rd system:
80 display, 140 total. display is full of coral but mostly softies, GSP, mushrooms, zoa, leathers and some LPS, duncans, acans, 4 heads hammer, good size brain, and some hollywood stunner chalice. No fish.
Daily dose into display right over gyre pump. 450ml alk and 500ml cal alk steady @ 8.3 cal @425 manual test every1 or 2 days.

System 1 and 2 have all the rock in display, system 3 has some rock in display but sump is a stock tank full of rock and has low flow. I do seem to be getting some precipitation in system 3 but I am dosing in the highest flow area of the tank.
All systems have a few hermits and snails, system 2 has the most. (I do need more CuC soon, lol)

Thanks for any input.

Whoa tank 3 is crazy high. LPS can use a lot but that seems excessive. First thing I’d want to check is calibration of those pumps. Are you actually pulling 500 mL per day or maybe not calibrated in a long time? Though that would be pretty far off calibration…

Second, do you have sand? And has it turned to cement from precipitation?

Whoa tank 3 is crazy high. LPS can use a lot but that seems excessive. First thing I’d want to check is calibration of those pumps. Are you actually pulling 500 mL per day or maybe not calibrated in a long time? Though that would be pretty far off calibration…

Second, do you have sand? And has it turned to cement from precipitation?
Calibration was done recently and amount didn't need to be changed to maintain levels.
Stopped dosing and levels started dropping fast. May stop dosing, test again and start from scratch with recommended amount.
Bare bottom tank, no sand.

I would definitely start from scratch and work your way back up to the dose like you said.

Where do you get the precipitation? Are you dosing alk and ca at different times? Can we get some other parameters (salinity, mg, no3 and po4)? How long has the tank been cycled? Are all the corals growing? Just throwing out what I can think of

I would definitely start from scratch and work your way back up to the dose like you said.

Where do you get the precipitation? Are you dosing alk and ca at different times? Can we get some other parameters (salinity, mg, no3 and po4)? How long has the tank been cycled? Are all the corals growing? Just throwing out what I can think of
I get a buildup of "dirt" on the bare bottom, I assume that is precipitation.
Yes, offset times with dosing.
Salinity 1.026
No3 12
Po4 .03
Tank has been running/cycled 4+ years
Corals are growing.

Thanks again for input.

Have you tested magnesium? Low mag can allow the precipitation of alk and calcium.

And look on heater and pumps for a white precipitation is typically first spots you would see it other than a sand bed turning hard as a rock which you don’t have.

I'll have to test magnesium, it's been a while.
I do see the build up on my titanium heater.

Alk this morning @ 6.5...... ouch
Cal stayed @ 430
Using BRS calculator I will be dosing 200 ml of each to bring Alk to 8.5 and Cal to 450.
I did calibrate before setting new dose and found that in the Alk line the fluid had siphoned out. It took a bit to start flowing again. After line was full again, calibration was spot on. I had noticed this problem before and added a check valve but seems to still have an issue. Guess I'll be replumbing the doser this coming weekend.

Back