Drilling a solana tank

Technorch

BRS Member
Has anyone ever attempted to drill a solana tank at the bottom and add pvc pies and make it like a regular tank with back or side overflows? I will leave the back plastic overflow and this will hide the drains and returns if it's drilled at the bottom. I just want to hook my solana to a sump/fuge but I just want to make sure if it's possible. Is there any LSF that would do something like this? I don't have the bits to drill it or the experience in drilling tanks :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever attempted to drill a solana tank at the bottom and add pvc pies and make it like a regular tank with back or side overflows? I will leave the back plastic overflow and this will hide the drains and returns if it's drilled at the bottom. I just want to hook my solana to a sump/fuge but I just want to make sure if it's possible. Is there any LSF that would do something like this? I don't have the bits to drill it or the experience in drilling tanks :rolleyes:

Someone told me that Unique would drill tanks.

I drilled my own, so I never called them. But give them a call. Also, I would call the manufacturer of your tank and see what kind of glass you have.

Some glass places might also drill your tank.

Anyways, all you need is a diamond bit, Lowes has them. The biggest they carry is a 1 3/4" which is what you need for a 1" bulk head.

Don't quote me but I think they are tempered

I wonder if there is a way to tell if they are tempered or not.

Someone told me that Unique would drill tanks.

I drilled my own, so I never called them. But give them a call. Also, I would call the manufacturer of your tank and see what kind of glass you have.

Some glass places might also drill your tank.

Anyways, all you need is a diamond bit, Lowes has them. The biggest they carry is a 1 3/4" which is what you need for a 1" bulk head.

Lowes was really expensive... If you are going to order the bulkhead get the bit at the same time.http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/plumbing/glass-drill-bits/diamond-coated-glass-drill-bits.html

I'll give the manufacture a call see if they can tell me if it's tempered or not and then I might call Unique to see if they would drill it for me.

I would rather have someone with experience drill it instead of me messing it up ::

Drilling is easy if you can verify the glass is not tempered and make something or buy something that keeps the bit from moving. I drilled a few tanks one with 4 holes and had only tried it once at a meeting before. The biggest issue is the bit will slide and scratch the glass if you don't secure it with a jig or template (rubber with a hole taped in place to guide it). Also be slow and careful when it breaks through or it will chip the edges.

Drilling is easy if you can verify the glass is not tempered and make something or buy something that keeps the bit from moving. I drilled a few tanks one with 4 holes and had only tried it once at a meeting before. The biggest issue is the bit will slide and scratch the glass if you don't secure it with a jig or template (rubber with a hole taped in place to guide it). Also be slow and careful when it breaks through or it will chip the edges.

Make a templates out of wood. Or start at a slight angle, and don't use a template. That's how I did it, and I work in an office :)

The most important thing it too keep it wet at all times. Do not let the glass get hot. EVER!

I really want to do it myself but I don't trust myself with glass and drills lol. I'm not sure if unique aquaria would drill tanks since they are currently closes. Any other LSF that might drill them? I'm going to buy the whole overflow kit that comes with drill bits, overflow and bulkheads so i can bring the material to someone. I just want it to be done by someone who has experience with this lol

I really want to do it myself but I don't trust myself with glass and drills lol. I'm not sure if unique aquaria would drill tanks since they are currently closes. Any other LSF that might drill them? I'm going to buy the whole overflow kit that comes with drill bits, overflow and bulkheads so i can bring the material to someone. I just want it to be done by someone who has experience with this lol

Call any place that cuts glass. They should be able to do a good job.

Jeremy at Coral Reef drills tanks, not sure what he charges per hole.

You might find someone on here to help... the issue is taking the responsibility if something goes wrong, anything can happen :)

But I think:
-if you take an hour an watch a few videos on it
-make a template that guide you and help keep some water pooled up
-place container to catch the glass so it doesn't hit the tank when it falls
-and take your time

You should have no problem. And it felt good after I did mine knowing I have that capability for future projects, upgrades, etc..

You might find someone on here to help... the issue is taking the responsibility if something goes wrong, anything can happen :)

But I think:
-if you take an hour an watch a few videos on it
-make a template that guide you and help keep some water pooled up
-place container to catch the glass so it doesn't hit the tank when it falls
-and take your time

You should have no problem. And it felt good after I did mine knowing I have that capability for future projects, upgrades, etc..

^^^ That.

all you need to be careful about:
1- Dont push hard against glass. Use the fastest drill you have and just put some very MINIMAL pressure.
2- Keep it wet at all times.

..It literaly takes 30 seconds per hole.

Back