Drilling into glass?

dtw14

Non-member
How difficult is it to drill into glass? I am contemplating drilling a hole into my tank for my overflow going to my wet/dry instead of using an overflow box. Any thoughts?

With the right tools its quite easy. I got a dimond hole saw on ebay for about 8$ and did it to a 20 tall tank the other day. Just keep very very little pressure on the bit and go at a slow pace with some water around where you are drilling. For that part cut a solo cup in half and duct tape the upper half to the glass making sure to make a nice seal... then add water and start drilling.

There is a U-Tube video of a guy doing it.....makes it look really easy.

How do you guys with drilled tanks get the surface to skim?

Maybe a internal acrylic box with teeth?

One more thing... The tank that dtw14 is thinking of drilling is an AGA bowfront. I hope they only temper the bottom and not the back !:eek:

Here are some good tips

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816

I drilled 4 holes about 2 weeks ago, my first time. I followed this guys instruction. The hardest part for me was the actual starting of the hole, I found the bit bouncing and stratching the glass. Once I got all of the bit flush on the glass it was a peice of cake. I should have bought a drill guide :( but all turned out good and am happy with the holes. Good luck

all aga tempers is the bottom glass i have contacted them about this but not all there tanks have temperd bottoms either

To start a hole if your not using a drill press, take a scrap peice of plywood and cut a hole just slightly larger than the diamond holesaw then clamp it in place and it's a snap to start the hole.

For the water dam, plumer's putty works great, about $ .89 at HD.

It's also good to put masking or duct tape over the inside of the hole to minimize chipping and keep the slug from falling into the tank, as the bit comes through.

Also, for lubricant, I can bring some diamond cutting lube to a meeting for you. Water works, but the lubricant can't hurt. Send me a PM if you'd like some.

jk

Last edited by a moderator:
ive found a piece of pvc pipe works great as a guide to start holes.

also I have heard that walmart tanks are tempered on all sides.

To start a hole if your not using a drill press, take a scrap peice of plywood and cut a hole just slightly larger than the diamond holesaw then clamp it in place and it's a snap to start the hole.

For the water dam, plumer's putty works great, about $ .89 at HD.

It's also good to put masking or duct tape over the inside of the hole to minimize chipping and keep the slug from falling into the tank, as the bit comes through.

Also, for lubricant, I can bring some diamond cutting lube to a meeting for you. Water works, but the lubricant can't hurt. Send me a PM if you'd like some.

jk

What he said. I'll just add that you should put a folded up towel under where you are drilling to catch the slug in case the tape fails. Don't ask me how I know that.:D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise and equipment loans. Still contemplating if it is worth the risk!!!!!

Thanks for all the advise and equipment loans. Still contemplating if it is worth the risk!!!!!

Honestly, its really easy. Unless someone is willing to do it for you, and take all responsibility if they break the tank(which almost no one does) you're not gaining anything by having someone do it.

On bigger tanks with thicker glass, you really have to screw up to cause problems. Tiny tanks like 10g are really tricky though.

Cut a template out 1/8 material: Make a hole that fits the outer diameter of the bit. Clamp that flush to the glass: Don't put any stress on the glass from the clamp. And drill away with water or a special lubercant that you can get.

Back